1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waist slimming?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by nerdvain, Dec 30, 2011.

1. nerdvain

Body shape issue here.
    Okay, so I'm vain. I'm awful, terrible, and looks-focused. Blah blah blah.
    I like who I am inside and I have self respect, but...
    Anyway.
    I'm pretty petite. Small. Short. Fun-sized. And mostly thin.
    Mostly. Kinda. Sorta.

I have issues--as I always have--with my midsection. While it isn't an enormous bulge of doughy mess, there's definitelymore than I'd like down there. Suffice it to say some may deign to call me "skinny fat." I've got a bit of a love handle issue, and I'd like a shrinking gut. I know it's terrible to be concerned with such shallow things, but I'd like to wear clothing without feeling uncomfortable.

Are there any tips or bits of advice you could give me on ridding myself of this issue? I know the target should be overall fitness and weight loss; I'm workin on it.
    I'd like for once in my life to feel comfortable in the skin I'm in, and being fit is a good place to start.

2. Ridiculous

*stalks profile pictures*

Well it looks like you have pretty low amounts of body fat, so I would suggest that instead of losing weight you should try to gain muscle mass. Gaining some bulk in the upper body (chest, shoulders) and the lower body (thighs, butt) will make your waist look smaller by comparison, and will also improve your fitness.

3. IanGallagher

I'm weight lifting as we speak, well not at this exact moment but still - a month ago I had a gut, today my waist is regular pants level lol. I'm more of a muscular build type guy. Hell, the pants I got a while ago were too tight at the time and now they're gonna fall off me soon. Despite that, I still have "love handles" down there and I hate it lol. After all that work and all the progress I made -- that still bothers me. Don't think it's vanity. Or at least I don't think so... but, I think a lot of guys have them. When Ron was undressing in Harry Potter, I also noticed he somewhat had them. I think continual weight training will lessen them though and hell, maybe get a six pack soon enough too.

4. Veronica

Have you recently lost weight? I have lost a fair bit, but have a little bit of "love handles" left. It takes a while for the skin to shrink back. Gone down three sizes of pants, from 34 to 31 inches. (yay)

5. IanGallagher

If that's to me, yep - started exercising and getting into shape a month ago. The gut completely diminished almost. I've heard that the more muscle someone has the more weight they can lose because strong muscle actually makes one lose weight or something like that. Which is beyond awesome.

6. Veronica

Well, it was for the OP, but anyway :slight_smile:

Yeah, more muscle increase how much calories you burn in a day, so it helps.

I'm transgender, but not on other medication than DHT blockers yet, so must avoid any muscle building exercise. I run a lot instead. That helps too.

7. IanGallagher

Oh, lol, was kinda unsure. Thought you did. But "love handles" threw me for a loop.

8. Emberstone

the scourge of us skinny guys; the reality of being skinny-fat (skinny overall, but with a bit of a spare tire). It should be noted that fat wants to form at your midsections for a reason, and that is the layer of fat is a attempt by your body to sheild your internal organs, most of which hang out around your midsection.

you just have to up your cardio, and I would recommend learning and regularly doing 'stomach vacums', which is basically when you pull in your abdominals towards your spine as if you were sucking it in. This strengthens your inner abdominal wall, which can help flatten your stomach. coupled that with calorie burning excercises, and you can get rid over time the bulge. That is what I am currently doing, as when I started to pack on the muscle, my pants fit diffrently, and so they were tighter because of my newly found butt muscles (i really didnt have them the last time I got pants), so the fat navigated upwards to rest above my waist band.

it just takes a while to lose enough fat to slim your midsections, since like noted above, it is where the body wants to put it.

9. Lewis [spammer]

I suggest you the following weight loss tips which will surely help you in reducing your waist
    Some weight loss tips which I personally tried are described below
    1- Avoid sugar and eat low car diet
    2- Drink more and more water
    3- Do regular exercise and eat according to a diet plan.
    4- Eat five small meals in a day instead of three big meals.
    5- Eat fruits and vegetables in the form of salad
    This will really help you in losing weight.

10. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

Lewis nailed it, in addition,
    1. Yes, muscle does burn more calories than fat. Overall body fat loss will make muscles look larger, so do exercise
    2. Yes low carb diet - let them be slow burining carbs like half a sweet potato or oat meal, whole grain breads.
    3. The two additional meals can be in the form of a protein bar and a piece of fruit, doesn't have to be huge

11. Veronica

I don't think that is true. Women primarily store fat on their hips, they have little internal organs there. Hormones determine where fat is stored, which is why there is a gender difference.

12. nerdvain

Great advice, guys :slight_smile: Thank you all!
    Now...if only I didn't like sumptuous, decadent food.

13. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

diet and excercise. there's nothing else that will do it. do not try straving yourself because it will make you lose weight everwhere and you will still have the gut fat because your body will know it's starving and will hold onto the fat anywhere i can find it (your gut) so it can survive on the fat while you try and starve it to death. dude just work out and eat right.

14. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

great points insidehappy - it's very true. i went once for 5 months not working out, eating fairly little and my tummy grew and my muscles shrank. best for me is to exercise and eat right.

and nerdvain, i feel your pain, i LOVE decadent desserts. they aren't as much of the problem for me since i only have them maybe once a week. really, what gets me is the potential constant grazing with pitiful snacks like cookies, chocolate etc. Best thing is to plan out some things that are healthy and good for you. Cut up apples, make a slammin celery dip with no fat Fage Yogurt (it's extremely high in protein), cinnamon and agave syrup (and some oat meal) sounds crazy but it actually tastes good. plan out some fun food experiments and figure out what you like to have around the house.

as for any work out, start out real slow. just do a 30 minute work out, but make sure you do whatever you do consistently, then it will DEFINITELY show