1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using an Elliptical?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by nerdvain, Jan 3, 2012.

1. nerdvain

Okay, so we just picked up an elliptical today, and I'm really excited about it. It couldn't have come at a better time, what with my new found (reborn) desire for fitness.
    I know how the machine is used, but I can't seem to find any good routines or plans involving it.
    I know cardio workouts should be at least 30 minutes, 3-5 times a week, with 5 minutes of warm up and cool down. But in those middle 20+ on an elliptical, it isn't going to be just like a treadmill. What am I aiming for? Heart rate? Milage? RPM? Should I use the handlebars as much as possible? I'm a fish out of water here.

I have some background in exercise (namely cardio), so I'm not completely new to the idea. I was trying a 9-week program a little while back that had me working up to 3 miles a day on the treadmill or something like that, until the thing broke. So it's not like my poor body's been neglected for 17 years.

What do all my fit EC bretheren/sisters have to say about using this handy piece of equipment?

2. Ridiculous

The best indication of effective cardio is heartrate - after all, cardio is Greek for heart.

Here is a graph I blatantly stole from a site found using Google Images:

[​IMG]

I would say that that graph does put the 'Fat burn' zone a little low at 60-70% of maximum heart rate; I would instead aim for 65-75%. So if you were 20 years old, you would aim for a heart rate of between 130 BPM and 150BPM. If you are within that range then it is effective exercise for burning fat, whatever the exercise may be. These numbers are based off the average for that age, so it may need to be adjusted up or down depending on your fitness.

Also I would suggest that instead of 30 minutes 5 times a week, do 20 minutes 7 times a week. It works out as less actual exercise, but a significant component of energy burn comes after the exercise (after all, your heart rate doesn't return back to normal as soon as you finish and your body will continue burning energy at a higher rate until it does). So the more frequently you do exercise, the more you can exploit this afterburn.

I can't give any advice on actually using the elliptical machine because I've never used one for longer than maybe 2 minutes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

3. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do interval training. Basically what I do is 5 minutes of warm up, then for 25 mins a alternate: 1 min I do it at a high speed and high intensity, and then for 1 min 30 I do low intensity and low speed. It depends on youre level of fitness the intensity of your intervals, and the length too. You can do 2 mins of high intensity and 1 min of low. The key is to go fast and then slow. And then I do 10 mins of steady speed and intensity to cool down. If done right it leaves you exausted.

4. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

Nerdvain, You really don't need to lose weight at all, you'd really get skinny, you just want to lose the paunch (like I want to lose!) and get re-proportioned, so don't go crazy on the cardio and put totally crazy expectations on yourself, otherwise you'll lose interest.

Start with whatever timing you want and just be consistent at least for six weeks. I like to do 3-5 work outs for 45 minutes a week, that's all, that way I don't dread working out.

Just an FYI, your body builds muscle at night when you sleep and needs at least 6.5 to build, so if you don't get enough sleep, you actually shrink muscle.

And finally, if you want to grow muscle, start eating your body weight in the same number of grams of protein (i prefer chicken and fish-to grow bigger, you need to eat more). Feed your body in under 1 hour after your workout (otherwise you'll shrink muscle and not fat. Muscle burns calories faster). Eat right and with your body type, you will def start seeing results in three weeks, but keep up the consistency for at least 6 weeks and you'll be inspired to do more :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2012 at 10:10 PM ----------

oh man, you are probably in awesome shape, interval training is the BEST. i need this kind of commitment!

5. nerdvain

Wait...45 minutes per workout or per week at all?
    And if I shouldn't be focusing much on cardio, what should I be focusing on? What kind of exercises do you suggest?
    I'm a pretty intelligent person, it when it comes to this working out stuff...nada. I need details so specific you'd think you were talking to a 6 year old.

6. TraceElement

The elliptical can be a very daunting piece of equptment to use, and can make you fatugued very quickly if you haven't worked out in a while. If you have the option, use the handrests that move, use them. It provides more movement for your body, and can help burn more calories.
    To start with, aim for 4-5 days a week. The first week, aim for 15-20 minutes on the elliptical. Each consecutive week, add 5 minutes until you reach between 45 and 60 minutes. Suppliment this with weights, even the "soup can weight" method and using your own resistance.

7. Emberstone

thats really true of all equipment.

The elliptical is actually far less daunting and hard on your body than the treadmill because it is lower impact on your joints. Its all about getting used to the motion, which is true for every single form of excercise in existance.

I personally prefer 'Adaptive Motion' machines. they are a cross between a elliptical, a stair-climber, and a arc trainer, because they are designed in a way to allow for a wide and varied style of motions to work your body in different ways. When I first got on one, I felt like I was in a bouncy castle, becuase you do kind of float off the ground, but if you have those machines at your gym, they are a good option, because you set how wide your stance is, meaning you can ease into the elliptical motion at your own pace and flexibility.

this is what those look like: http://www.amazon.com/Precor-AMT100i-Experience-Adaptive-Trainer/dp/B0029KL2MO

8. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

Hey bro, sorry for the delay of epic proportions.

I do about three 45 - 60 minute work outs at the gym per week and i'm in fair shape. I also run about twice a week, but that's just because I'm training for a half marathon.

You should do light weights to and weave in cardio for 12-15 mins at the end of your workout. Again, the thought is to be consistent in whatever you do. You can do a full body work out or individual body parts. If you go to a gym, people can help you there. Otherwise check in and I might be able to give you a little direction. Sincerely, if you're consistent, in 6 weeks, you'll be thrilled with the progress (!)