1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Injections

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ty, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

What vaccinations are best for you to get if your gay? I've had a Hep A one, and ill be having a booster on that in like 3months so then it'll last for like 10years =]

But are there any other useful ones that I should get?

Thankies ! x

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hep B I think....

I had a course of one of the Hepatitis ones many years ago (when I first came out) and the subsequent test showed that it had not worked. I didn't bother to go through it again as they reckoned it would be fairly unlikely to work on a second attempt anyway.

You could ask at the local STD clinic or contact whatever gay men's health projects or whatever are in your area run by the NHS. These are usually anonymous, so nothing appears on your medical records.

3. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Hep B would be the other series of vacs you should get. As for you Paul, there are a number of people who appear to be non reactors but when exposed to the virus will mount a defense rather quickly. I am the same and I took the series twice with Hep B, yet if they look for the surface antigen, nadda. Have been exposed because of the profession on a few occasions and no problems. So likely also a non responder, but mount a defense when needed.

But Crazythang, get the Hep B series (3 total)

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Okayyy

So now ive got to somehow arrange a Hep B shot.... Hmmm...
    :s

5. Kimi

I had enough of injections...

Not that I don't like injections but I hate to be waiting in the doctor's office to just get one injection:dry:

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hep B is three shots and it's total must-get for gay guys because it's something like 100x more contagious than HIV and a lot more common, and of course incurable if you do get it.

Make sure you get all 3 shots... I believe it's like first one, wait a month, 2nd one, wait six months, final one.

7. Jim1454

^ Yes - that's the way it goes, as I'm in the process of getting them done. If you haven't had shots for either A or B, you can get them in a combined shot called "Twinrix" (sp?). I've done the first and second, and have an appointment already set in May for the 3rd.

8. Ty

Ty Guest

Booking my Hep B one after christmas ^_^

Are you sure there arent any others that I should get?

Thanks, Ty

9. Grof142007

i got my hep B shot during school whew

10. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

That is pretty much it Carzythang, unless you are going to be traveling outside of the UK or USA. Then it is determined what sort of shots you need by where you are going. The only other exception would be vaccination against pneumococcal bacteria, but only for those with significant asthma, COPD or other chronic lung aliment or you are aspleenic- no spleen.

One other problem cropping up now because of the use of OTC(over the counter) as well as Rx(prescription) medications in the classes of H2 blockers or proton pump inhibitors (Zantac, Pepcid, Prolsec, etc) there is a significant increase of infections with Clostridium difficile. This bacteria inhabits the lower bowel tact. Sexual exposure is achieved through rimming and not using protective barriers. The increase is not directly related to just sexual activity, but that sort of activity while taking such medications significantly increases the chance of contracting the disease. Just for your information.