1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exercising on an Empty Stomach

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zooombini, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today I went to gym class in the morning, but I didn't eat breakfast before hand. The exercise was very intense (at least for me, I'm out of shape) and I felt awful towards the end. I ended up throwing up twice afterwards, but I don't think I'm sick.

Does exercising before eating make you sick?

2. RebelD

Dude, you should eat between 1 and 3 hours before exercise. At least that is what found in my experience, but people differ and others might know better. It could also be that the exercise was hard on your body. My one coach used to say that if you puked, it was because you pushed your limits. Hope it helps

3. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

dude i heard you should not eat heavy before working out. just wait about an hour or two after your last meal to start working out. you body has to digest. dude you can't work out on an empty stomach because you will get sick and vomit or pass out. that what happens to aneorixs. you need to also eat some type of protein bar afterwards or recovery shake so your body can get the electrolytes and protein in it so it can build muscle and heal. if nothing else, drink gatorade and consult with your physican before taking any major work out plans.

4. suninthesky

I workout (such as go on a 5-9 mile run) without eating all the time. The important thing is to eat after to re-build your muscles. Honestly, it sounds like you probably worked out too hard. I've thrown-up after working out super hard, even when I eat ideally. I think maybe exercising without food just takes a little getting used to. IMO gatorade is too sugary and will lead to a crash soon after. Whatever works, you know?

5. Jonathan

I kinda did the same thing today. I went and worked out with my brother and his friend at around 4ish pm and hadn't had a meal since 10 pm the night before. Yea, I got kind of nauseous during some points but overall it wasn't too bad.

I honestly don't know when the proper time to eat before exercising is...so I'd probably just listen to what the other members are saying.

6. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for your advice! Today I ate early and didn't push myself too hard, I didn't feel too sick either.

7. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

perfect. a few people mentioned eating two hours before a work out. that's pretty standard, otherwise your body is going to take the reserves from your muscles for regular body function and you will actually lose muscle.

then the best thing to do is eat within an hour after to rebuild your system with carbs and protein.

based on your post today, your nauseous thing is def from your not eating. i hope it goes well!

8. KaraBulut

Morning workouts are a dilemma. Some people tend to get a bit nauseous after eating in the morning, yet working out on an empty stomach can make you feel very shaky and sick to your stomach.

The best option is to eat breakfast when you wake up and then continue getting ready. Usually by the time you get to the gym, you've had an hour or so to digest the food, so you're less likely to get sick from the workout.

If you're not normally a breakfast person, then buy some premixed protein shakes and keep one by your bed. Drink it in the morning when you wake up.

Some the of the nausea will also get better as you get into better shape.