1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with some shaved hair

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Charni, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I shaved the hair that goes down from the belly button down. Now where the hairs were there are red spots and a few have grown back and the area around them (0.5mm) is red too. What is happening?

2. Ridiculous

Did this happen soon after you shaved, or has it been a day or two?

If it happened soon after shaving, it is probably razor burn.

If it is happening a couple of days after then it is probably razor bumps, which is where the hairs irritate the skin as they grow back through it. It is similar to an ingrown hair.

There are tips for prevention and ways to make the irritation go away quicker on both of those articles.

3. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It was a few days after. I get a lot of ingrown hairs too.

4. Ridiculous

I do have some problems with ingrown hairs as well, so if I'm shaving below the bellybutton I use clippers instead of razors. The hair there seems to be thicker and has a bit of a curl to it, so it is much more likely to have trouble getting through the skin than on my face.

Using electric clippers instead only cuts the hair off just above the skin level, so it doesn't have the problem of growing back through the skin. (Razors on the other hand usually pull the hair out before cutting it, so the hair stump recedes back under the hair level, the skin seals over on top of it and then it has to break back through when it grows.) Clippers don't get as close a shave as a razor, but it's about equivalent to a day of growth from a razor so it's not much of a downside.

For dealing with ingrown hairs from razors, try exfoliating with a scrub to manually remove the top layer of dead skin, hopefully exposing the hair underneath. It works better as a prevention though, so if you do it now you'll have to be gentle so as to not irritate it further.

Also when shaving with a razor make sure you only shave in the same direction as the hair grows, because if you pull the blade against the natural direction of the hair, the hair will be pulled out more and the 'stump' will end up further below the skin level. But trying to figure out which way the hair goes in any area below the bellybutton is pretty difficult (looking at my own treasure-trail the hair seems to come from both sides at once), so once again I'd just suggest electric clippers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

#4 Ridiculous, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  5. Skiel

Skiel Guest

i think that's normal and it should go away eventually. I rmbred when i first started shaving, not down there but on my face, it got red and bumpy but i think that's because it was the first time. I just left it and the redness stopped after i began routinely shaving for a month or so. Nothing to worry about.

6. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can use an electric razor. You wont get razor burn, but you will have to shave more often.

7. Katelynn

You could also try waxing that area as well. It hurts at first & will probably have some irritation still for a bit, but after a while it may not be as bad. I myself just use Veet on my bikini area, but I avoid using it on my genitals, since it is contraindicated on the product's packaging & since I know that essentially, Veet is an epilatory cream, which means it is removing a few layers of skin from my body where I apply it. As much as I hate the foul thing between my legs, I also dont want to go to the emergency room & face the embarrasment of having to explain what happened or, even worse, having to sit in an emergency waiting room with other people staring at me...

8. Ianthe

If shaving is your preferred method of hair removal, I recommend exfoliating really well before hand, and then make sure you let the area soak or steam for a few minutes before you start.

Don't cheap out on shaving cream. I really like Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel.

I use an off-brand shaver. I have found it as the store brand in several stores. It's usually compared to Soleil, but I think it's a lot better. They are orange, and they look like they wouldn't work at all--instead of being at the usual angle, the head looks really flat, like you would need to pull the handle parallel to your leg. But actually, the head pivots about 90 degrees, which is amazing to shave with.

I have no idea whether either of those products are available in Australia. If not, still look into getting fairly good shavers and shaving cream, and if at all possible , use a new shaver every time.

Moisturize after with a fragrance free lotion.

9. Daisy1

If you put Neosporin on after shaving, it will help with bumps and irritation. Acne medication helps with ingrown hairs. Alternatively, using a trimmer is a pretty good idea.

10. DhammaGamer

I have terrible irritation around my knees and on my thighs and groin area. It is very disheartening at times lol. I never heard of the neosporin before. I will have to try it out. What kind of things can be used for exfoliating?

11. Veronica

I get that sort of problem mainly on my chest. I don't have that many hairs, but I pluck them and sometimes get those bumps when they grow back out. I haven't found a way to avoid them though. I expect the hairs will eventually turn back into vellus hair when I've been on DHT and T blockers long enough.