1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with building muscle!!!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by nate16, Jan 11, 2012.

1. nate16

Hi people. Sooo recently( as in about 3 months ago) I've been really wanting to get on some sort of exercise routine to build chest mustle. For the three months ive been doing as many reps of pushups possible each and every night. The thing is that im very sensitive about my looks and am a bit self conscience about attending a gym atm. Does anyone have any advice on how i can Improve this setup? Any home workout that i can do that doesnt involve going out and purchasing equipment? So far all ive achieved is some toning, but not too much muscle. I dont have a lot of time on my hands to do a ton every day. About 30 mins max. I guess im asking all this because on my sternum the bone protrudes a little in two bumps in the center of my chest. Its not much but id like to get it "covered" somehow with muscle by summer if i can. Its been the cause of some anxiety and self conscienciousness. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

2. Ridiculous

How good have you gotten at doing pushups? If you can do 20 without rest all with good form then you probably won't be seeing any gains from continuing to do them. It'll improve endurance but you won't see any significant muscle gain.

Good form is:
    • Your back and legs stay straight and don't bend or curve at all during motion
    • You descend right down until your face is about 2 inches from the ground, and rise right up until your arms are pretty much straight
    • Each pushup takes about 6 seconds (2 seconds down, 2 seconds up, with 1 second between where you hold it at the top/bottom)

If you have all that while being able to do 20 without rest, then you should increase the difficulty. You can make pushups more difficult by:

• Increasing the weight. You can do this easily by wearing a backpack and putting some books in it (just make sure you can maintain good form, no curving your back!)
    • Putting your feet on a raised surface, like a coffee table, so you are on a downward incline while you do the pushup
    • Place your hands further down, closer to your hips. The further down they are, the harder the pushup will be.
    (all of the good form rules go for these as well; if you can't maintain good form with increased difficulty then decrease the difficulty)

There are other exercises that target the chest specifically, like dumbbell flys or benchpresses, but these require equipment. Pushups are a compound exercise that works on the chest, triceps and shoulders. They are a good exercise but not particularly suited for focussing on one of them.

I'd encourage you to try and get your hands on just some cheap second hand dumbbells from eBay or something, though. They'll help not only with your chest but also allow you to target other areas of your body, and you can still do it all from home. I think it's much more worthwhile than a gym membership, where you waste half of your time travelling there, and then the other half waiting for people to stop using the equipment you want, and then have everyone looking at you when it's your turn. It's much easier to just have them at home, allowing you to easily fit it into your day.

3. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

Growth is in the exercising coupled with healthy eating. If you feel like you're low weight and want to gain, keep doing challenging workouts and make sure you eat at least your body weight in grams of protein per day (if you weigh 155lbs, eat 155 gms of protein per day) and increase your carb intake as well. I work out about 3-4 x per week for about 45- 60 mins per workout and I keep pretty busy for that hour.

Check out on youtube workouts that don't require equipment and stick with one for at least two work outs and see how it works. This dude looks slammin in some of his videos, but there are plenty out there.

Push Up: Non-Gym Push Ups of All Kinds by Tuan Tran - YouTube

Do good man! Peace ~ me

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really know but I have a few comments... Some things I would suggest, however, not sure how successful I've been...

1. Eat Eat EAT :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If you wanna gain muscle you need to eat a lot to feed your muscles. Make sure you get adequate protein too. But when you have meals, try to increase portions.

2. Not related to this, but it might be a good idea to try working on your self consciousness and just say "to heck with it" and go to a gym. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. It might look odd if you work too much on your pecs and not other muscles...idk