1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diva Cup

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by thereshewas, Jan 15, 2012.

1. thereshewas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I bought my first Diva Cup today, and I was really excited to try it out. After reading through all the instructions and some online comments, I tried and... well... I failed. Every time I attempted to insert it, I started to feel pain, which isn't supposed to happen. I could get it in almost to the base, at which point it would hurt too much, I would let it pop open and it would come out. I tried both folds multiple times before giving up for the day.

Diva (or other menstrual) cup users: Did any of you experience pain when you first tried to insert the cup? Could never having had vaginal sex be the problem? Any advice with regards to inserting it?

I'm not even on my period yet, but I was hoping to get the hang of it beforehand so I could minimize mess. I definitely plan to keep trying, I'm just feeling a bit dejected currently, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. And here's to hoping that someone on EC actually uses a Diva Cup!

2. kirbycat

I've never used a Diva Cup (but I've been meaning to get one for ages!), so I can't offer any specific advice. I do know they make different cup sizes - smaller ones for younger women or those who haven't had sex/given birth, and larger ones for older women or those whose vaginas have had a bit more exercise. Are you sure your cup is the right size for your body's condition?

If this cup doesn't end up working out, there are other manufacturers that make cups with slightly different shapes and designs. You'll surely find something that works for you. And it's definitely a worthwhile investment!

3. thereshewas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And... three weeks later... thank you! Your post definitely helped me not get too discouraged, and I've since experienced some success :slight_smile:

I would definitely recommend trying some sort of menstrual cup. I imagine I have some more practicing to do, but I'm actually excited to get my period now, oddly enough. Thanks again!

4. adam88

I realise this is a weird question to come from a guy, but what exactly is a menstrual cup for? What makes it better than, say, tampons?
    (PS I'm not grossed out by talk of bodily functions like some guys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

5. KaraBulut

The problem with tampons is that the materials used in a tampon provide a growth medium for bacteria. They can leak. What a lot of guys don't realize is that young girls (and girls who haven't lost their virginity) have trouble with tampons because their vaginal opening can be small, so a tampon isn't always an option for younger girls.

Pads are bulky and can also allow blood to leak around the pad.

Menstrual cups (aka moon cups, diva cups) occlude the opening of the vagina and keep the menstrual flow contained within the vagina for up to 10-12 hours. If properly positioned, it does not allow any leakage from the vagina.

6. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Three other advantages: you don't have to buy yourself tampons, you don't have to dispose of used tampons (they're kind of a biohazard) and you contribute slightly less to our glorious modern landfills.

I think the bacteria issue is probably more important though.