1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exfoliate

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Charni, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have heard that it's very helpful for girls to use exfoliate. I want to use it but I don't know how to (it's embarrassing I know). Can somebody please explain how to use it?

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I exfoliate about 3-4 times a week. I usually just buy the St. Ives apricot scrub, which contains exfoliants.

There is also a really good one that goes with my facial cleanser. With that one you just sprinkle the beads into the cleanser, rub it between you hands to make a foam, and apply to face, just like regular washing.

If you've already purchased one, simply follow the directions on the package. :slight_smile:

3. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's like a cream with really little balls in it. How long do you leave it on your face for?

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't leave it on very long, just long enough to wet a washcloth and wring it out really. It's the scrubbing action that exfoliates, not so much how long it's on your face.

5. RaeofLite

Aaaah Black Cat, I totally love St Ives.

..sorry just had to add that.

I splash my face with warm water, then rub in some of the St Ives Apricot scrub (it's a rougher texture but smoothes skin), over my cheeks, forehead and on hands etc, then wash it off with cold water. Voila.

6. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    And just adding, don't be too enthusiastic with exfoliation. Start off with once a week and adjust from there. You don't need to be harsh, skin can be sensitive.

7. KaraBulut

Exfoliation is just removing dead skin from the surface of the skin. It's done in two ways- mechanical (rubbing) and chemical (peeling). If done properly, it removes the dull, dry skin from the surface to reveal healthy, shiny skin underneath.

The most basic mechanical exfoliation is taking a soft cotton cloth and gently rubbing the cloth against the skin in a circular motion. This in combination with a cleanser is usually enough to remove most of the surface layers of skin. There are also cleansers that have sand or small beads that help with exfoliation.

Chemical exfoliation uses chemicals that peel the skin. These can be mild acids like alpha hydroxy (AHA) or beta hydroxy (BHA/salicylic) acids, retinoids like Retin-A or retinol or oxiding agents like benzoyl peroxide. You can obtain these at finer cosmetic stores or by prescription from a dermatologist. There are instructions that come with the preparations but in general you apply them for a period of time and then wash them off (or in the case of the acids, there may be a neutralizer that you apply).

8. Daisy1

If you have dry skin, be careful about exfoliating! It makes my face peel for days. That also happened to Pauly on Jersey Shore last week because he was sunburned

[​IMG]