1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urinating Blood?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TWestside, Jan 18, 2012.

1. TWestside

TWestside Guest

Hi everyone.
    Last sunday, i went to bathroom and urinated without pain or hurt. Before i flush it i saw it was all blood. I drank lots of water that night it repeated again. Third time was normal but on monday i went to a internal medicine dr and he did some blood and urinalysis. They seemed pretty normal to him so he checked my kidneys and with ultrasound which seemed clear too. He said it might be an infection because microscopic blood could be still seen in the urine. I'm using antibiotics since monday and it didn't repeated again but i was quite frightened when i saw it. Doctor didn't say anything certain so i'm asking you guys, what could possibly make this?

Thank you.

2. wellhidden

wellhidden Guest

Trust your doctor hes a professional, and yea I was guessing infection from the start.

3. MommaFrog

My (Soon-to-be-ex-) husband had that happen while I was pregnant. It turned out just fine. His prostate was slightly swollen as well.

I left him around a month after this happened and found out a month after leaving him that he had contracted an relatively minor ((curable)) STD. Not saying the two are related, but I don't know if they are or not...

4. JamesD

Uh - if I pee blood I'm heading to the emergency room prontolino. I'm not waiting for it to clear up on its own! Yikes.

Glad the antibiotics seeme to be working

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're Doc is better qualified for this, but the first thing I'd of thought of was a kidney problem, but he check and they were clear. You're peed without pain so urine crystals should be out. Chances are it's what he said an infection. You're doing what you should be so try to not stress too much.

6. Jski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well the last time I urinated blood was because I had kidney stone... but I'm guess you would know if you have them because you would be laying on the floor, crying a vomiting in pain. Not a swell feeling. I think you are good. The human body does some weird things lol.

7. KaraBulut

The doctor's explanation was on target.

When we see blood in urine, we start looking upstream to figure out where it's coming from.

Usually, visible blood in urine is the result of a kidney stone passing through the urinary tract. People pass microscopic stones more often than they realize, however they're so small that they usually don't cause bleeding. Stones that are larger either cause bleeding or they cause severe cramps when you're passing the stone (or both). This is why you got an ultrasound and a urinalysis - he was checking to see if there might be other stones. The pain of passing a kidney stone is usually compared to childbirth and as the previous poster commented, you would know if you had passed a sizeable stone.

Rarely, we see a problem with the kidneys. Doctors will usually do some blood work and a urinalysis to confirm that the kidneys are functioning properly. The ultrasound will also reveal if there's an enlargement or structural abnormality of the kidney. It sounds like this checked out okay.

In men, we do occasionally see urinary tract infections that can cause enough irritation that there's some bleeding. This can be an infection of the urethra or the prostate and your doctor is treating you for this since he's eliminated a stone as the possible cause.

Sometimes it's a spontaneous bleed. We get posts in the forum from guys who find blood in their urine or in their semen one time and then it doesn't happen again. We don't know exactly why this happens- sometimes it can be from trauma or sometimes a small capillary will have a spontaneous bleed. It's harmless even though it can be freaky to see blood in your cum or in the toilet after you pee.

It does sound like your doctor covered all the bases even if he didn't explain what he was doing and why.

#7 KaraBulut, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  8. TWestside

TWestside Guest

Thank you for all those information. :slight_smile: Btw, i'm fine and it didn't repeated again (and hopefully won't)