1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increased Appetite

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kat22, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Kat22

In the past 3 to 4 weeks my appetite has increased dramatically. I have always battled with my weight, but did really well this summer/early fall and got within 10lbs of my target weight. I feel these past few weeks have not helped and I can feel myself gaining weight. Also, due to back problems over the past two months, I have just been given the go-ahead to start working out again. Does anyone know if quitting working out could have caused an increase in hunger, and also does anyone know of anything that I can do to decrease my appetite?

Thanks much!!!

2. CrimsonThunder

I felt exactly the same last week and i think the week before. I think it was due to me being bored, maybe not working out made you in a 'bored' like state? Maybe you were Depressed? If you drink water instead of eating it fills you up, sometimes you feel hungry but you're not, you're thirsty and it doesn't matter how much you eat you'll still feel hungry untill you have a drink.

3. Kimi

I'm decreasing interest in eating lately...today I only had dinner:eek:

I don't think quiting working out make you hungry. I'd say if you work out, you might feel more hungry than when you were not working out.
    I think Tom's idea of 'bored' might caused it. I do want to eat when I have nothing to do...but then that might be just me:lol:

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Have you been eating anything different Kat? Certain foods can increase appetite. I have been horrible lately with all the Christmas treats around. Seems like we're always eating. Last night, my daughter requested lasagna. Today we're invited to a Christmas dinner. Tomorrow on Christmas Eve, my sister-in-law is making pizza casserole. Then Christmas dinner again on Christmas. Geez.......come January 1st its back on my diet.

5. Ty

Ty Guest

I tend to snack when im bored and since i wanna lose weight ive kept myself incredibly busy =] 3 languages and piano yay

6. Kat22

I would have thought it was boredom, except two weeks ago was finals week for me, and since then I've been working 8+ hours a day. I also know it probably isn't stress because I usually don't eat if I am stressed. The only thing I have eaten differently lately is Christmas cookies that my roommate and my girlfriend and I all made together, but I did really well and only have had one a day.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    One a day? That is amazing willpower! :slight_smile: Maybe just try drinking more water throughout the day. Sometimes hunger really is dehydration.

8. Tom

Tom Guest

yeah drink plenty of water, the more the better infact =]

it fils you up and has no calories! and cold water does burn calories, and if you are one of those that has 2 know how many calories you eat and tht then seein as drinking cold water uses calories to warm urself back up then heres a formula for ye!

calories = volume of water x raise in temperature (deg c)

so basically if u drink 0.25 litres of water which is at 10 deg. c ull burn 0.25x27.5=6.875 calories, might not seem much but stil its something.

and tht may seem off topic but the drinking of the water will fill you up AND burn calories, this will reduce your apetite and let you acheive your target weight =]

9. JeremyB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never eat anything but dinner.. I dont know what happened. :confused:
    But I just stopped eating a few weeks after school started. :icon_sad:

10. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Could be a combo of things kat. Winter time brings less sunlight to help the body produce serotonin. Light at a certain lux level activates that system rather well, and it doesn't have to be direct light into the eye, off to the side works well too.

Because of the lack of light, the body will use what means it can to get the level of serotonin increased and eating of carbohydrates will cause an increase production of serotonin. The other aspect of the lack of serotonin is the condition called SAD (Seasonal Affect Disorder)

If taking any vitamins especially B complex, would suggest you take it at your bed time. Most B complex vitamins contain thiamine (Vit B1) and that can cause hunger pains or something similar, thus if you take it at night, when this happens you sleep through it most of the time.

As for dieting, actually, just portion control is pretty much what is needed. Diets are artificial and once you accomplish what you want with them, you go back to your normal eating pattern and the weight is regained and usually with some added. If needed eat frequently but very small portions. Wait before thinking about seconds as it takes the body about 20 minutes to shut off the hunger alarm. You might need to eat 6 times a day, again very small portions. But whatever you do, don't starve, as the body then goes into a different state and no matter what is eaten and when a certain portion of those calories will be stored as fat.

Finally, get into doing some sort of exercise that you can within the limits imposed by your injury. Overall exercise will help decrease appetite with all the endorphins released.

Good luck.