1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blurriness/bright lights in eyes

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by midwestgirl89, Jan 19, 2012.

1. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it normal to have splotches of lights in your vision? Right now I can see little lights. My vision is kind of disoriented. Yesterday my vision was blurry to where I couldn't read some signs. I wear glasses so I doubt that is it. I have migraines so could this be an aura?

I do feel a headache coming on. Is it normal for people to get this with migraines?

2. TraceElement

Yes, migraines can present with auras, but I would suggest going to see an eye doctor or regular doctor just incase it is something else. There are some pretty serious eye problems that can start out harmless.

3. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. I still have lights in my eyes right now. It's like after someone flashes a camera in your eyes. And my eyes were blurry today again. The blurriness and lights aren't messing up my vision completely but they are annoying. It's happened before and it's weird.

I have had 3 eye surgeries when I was a baby/toddler for eye muscle and tear duct issues and have had pink eye a lot. My eyes are sometimes a problem for me.

4. TraceElement

Please go see an eye doctor... with eye muscle problems and blurryness/flashing lights makes me think theres something really not right.

5. KaraBulut

Do you have a neurologist that you see for your migraines?

6. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've seen one before but I haven't been in a long time because I haven't been taking my meds & I feel bad about it. I know it's a dumb reason. I'm kind of taking way too much Excedrin because the headaches come often and they're the only thing that works. The neurologist told me to take another medicine but it didn't work very well so I stopped taking it.

The blurriness/lights don't happen often but it's really strange. I kind of have it right now still but not as bad. The blurriness usually happens at school while I'm in class or walking down the hallways.

The eye muscle surgery happened when I was a baby so idk if that is worrisome or not.

7. JohnnyBoy

I had a sort of similar problem (maybe?) with my eye muscles that recently sent me to the eye doctor for the first time ever at age 21. Bright lights give me crazy headaches, I can't keep focused on close things, and have spots. Isn't necessarily what you have but they told me I have "convergence insufficiency". Basically, my eye muscles get tired quickly when focusing on things up close and lose focus quickly. I've got a set of eye exercises I do everyday to help it...Yea, eye exercises. I have a popsicle stick with a picture on it that I pull up to my face in n' out to get my focal strength back...It looks pretty funny when I do it :grin:

8. KaraBulut

You should make an appointment with your neurologist for a followup since your headaches seem to be getting worse and the aura phase seems to be getting more frequent.

With migraines, there's two meds that most people will take- one to help prevent migraines and another to help get rid of the migraine once it starts. Excedrin really isn't an effective medication for migraine, so you need to talk to him about finding a medication to help control the migraines, as well as getting back on a medication to take when the migraines start.

We know that the vision center of the brain is involved in migraines- both as a trigger (e.g. strobes and flashing lights can trigger migraines in some people) and as a symptom (e.g. visual disturbances during auras). But there's not a connection to eye surgery and migraine although there may be a non-migraine cause for some of your visual symptoms. Your neurologist should be able to sort out the cause.

9. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thanks KaraBulut. I have a headache right now and it's so annoying. I should go to the neurologist again soon. My headaches get worse with stress and since school started and something happened last week, I've had one every day. It's so annoying because I have to do homework and stay awake but the headaches make me nauseated.

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2012 at 09:27 PM ----------

Hey thanks for your reply. Yeah, when it gets really late and I get tired my eye drifts off. It doesn't drift off during the day, only when I'm tired. But the doctor told me an eye exercise I could do. I haven't been doing it because it gives me headaches. I might ask why they give me headaches.

10. seeksanctuary

Sounds like it could be an ocular migraine. I get those quite a bit... Sometimes it looks like half of a person's face is missing, if I am looking right at them. It's disturbing, but it should be okay I think? It's a good idea to get it checked out just in case, though.