1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more hurting?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BreeBree, Jan 21, 2012.

1. BreeBree

Myself, that is. I wasn't sure what category this should be in, but I consider it mental health. I've had severe depression for as long as I can think back. And having social anxiety always kept me from voicing it to anyone, even my family. Then, my "bestfriend" introduced self infliction to me when I was 13. And for two years that was how I handeled my problems. I was always hiding my arms, legs, and sides because of cuts and burns that I had done myself. Sometimes I would even put finger polish remover on it to hurt more. When my parents found out they immediately threw me to the therapists, and I'll admit its been helping. But we've been having a horrible time financially, and our electricity is three days away from being shut off. This means I'll be out three months of therapy because we can't afford it. I'm a bit afraid of what I'll do to myself while on my own. Last time I was off therapy for the same reason I went back to my old ways. I've tried the rubber band method, and it doesn't hurt enough to make me feel better, and when I talk to my mother she has no idea what to say and really doesn't help at all. If I talk to anyone else I end up really embarassed and avoid them for a while. I'm also afraid that needing a stress relief will make me smoke more often (usually once every couple of weeks: trying to quit and almost winning). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do when I need to relieve some of my feelings without hurting myself? Much obliged<3

2. TraceElement

Are you in school? There should be some sort of counseling service through the school that you can use. Also, the state may have some sort of income-dependant therapy service through medicaid or medicare (can't remember which is for old folks and which is for younger folks) or SSI. Also, if I understand the system correctly, you may be entitled to some sort of SSI benefits for having depression. Just something to look into.Also, if you have any sessions left with your usual therapist, let them know the situation. They may be aware of lesser known services.

3. seeksanctuary

Exercise. If you feel the need to harm yourself, go out for a jog or some other vigorous exercise to get your heart pumping. Exercising releases endorphins, which can help a lot.