1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Injury

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by mike90, Jan 23, 2012.

1. mike90

I know that this has probably been spoken about on here a lot before but I need help. I was thinking of adding this anonymously because I am not wanting people to judge me. I am 21 and this year marks almost a decade of self harming which is something I am disgusted about because I should have had the strength to sort this a long time ago. This is my plea for help and my begging of you to tell me how I can help myself.

My parents divorced when I was 11, and although I kind of knew back then I was gay I didn't understand it and the confusion around that time in my life caused me to experiment with hitting myself, pinching myself and the like. It was nothing serious but still it was not under my control at the time and because my parents were too busy squabbling with each other it ended up being my teachers at school who found out about the self injury and dealt with me.

I was made to attend counselling but didn't honestly find it helped a lot. I couldn't get a lot of things out because I was scared and ashamed. The main thing that the experience taught me was how to hide what I was doing better rather than making me not want to self harm. :icon_sad:

When I was 13 I got caught again and this time was sent to see a psychologist who after a few weeks told me I had an "unstable personality" and advised more counselling. I don't know what happened but when I was between 13 and 15 I started cutting. If you have not self harmed in the past then you may not understand this. I am not asking you to... but please accept it as it is vital to how I approach the issue of self harm. When I cut myself I do not feel it. It is something that is isolated in my left lower arm because anywhere else on my body I feel.

Around this time I was started on medication to help me control myself and stop being violent to myself. By now I was out to everyone that mattered and actually completely accepted who I am and loved it for the first time. The thing is whether by habit or otherwise I still hated myself. I hated seeing myself in a mirror. I hated waking up. I hated sleeping. I hated eating. I hated being hungry. I hated crying but I couldn't stop myself.

Up until now I have not told anyone about the first time I tried to end everything. People in the "real" world know that I have tried such things but they think that the first time was much later than it was. The 30th September 2006, a week before my 16th birthday I was standing on top of a bridge above a river and holding a knife to my throat. Unfortunately I was found before I could gather the courage to jump but after I had made some pretty impressive marks on my neck.

I was again put on antidepressants and around age 17 for the first time things seemed to stabilise. I met my partner (who I am still with) and managed almost for a year to not hurt myself once. I thought I had beaten this. I thought I was stronger than it. I was wrong. The one person who did not know I was gay was my mother and when she asked I didn't think twice before coming out to her. She made my life hell and a lot of emotions from my past surfaced and the result was something I regret so deeply now. Again I tried to kill myself. I overdosed and cut my skin over a cm deep. Thankfully with my partner's support I managed to limit it to maybe 5 or 6 cuts a week rather than 5 or 6 a day like I used to.

Three years later and although I no longer speak to my mother I have still not beaten the torment of self harm. I have gone for around 6 months at the longest point but now it is here again. I have other medical problems as well and am on a range of medication. My doctor has been great the whole time but she has told me that because I have now been on 4 different types of antidepressant along with chlopromazine which is an anti-psychotic, lorazepam which is a sedative and even beta-blockers to control the physical anxiety she is out of ideas as to what to do. The practice counsellor will not speak to me again until I will admit that self harm is more dangerous than binge drinking, smoking or recreational drugs (which will never happen because I do not think that there is any difference - except with self harm the harm is evident immediately rather than delayed). My GP has told me that if I cut myself any more she will have to consider having me sectioned. I do not want this but since I have cut myself since she said that and can't hide it (she insists on seeing my arm every time I am there) I am desperately needing to find a way of convincing her not to have me chucked in the loony bin.

The thing I would really love help with is a) why can I not realise that this is not normal? b) how can I stop something that if I am 100% honest I am not ready to stop and c) what else can I do to myself that is not as destructive but will still enable me to remember what scum I am?

Any help will be really appreciated.
    :help:
    Thanks Mikex (&&&)

2. BreeBree

I want to start by saying your story was a sad one to read, as to be expected. I can relate to a couple areas of it as well. I've been fighting self inflictions for a while, although not nearly as long as you. I expect this means its much harder on you trying to stop than it is me. Its somewhat like an addiction, very hard to get a handle on. I've also been threatened by "the loony bin", and I think it may be possibly a good prospect. I mean, I'm not saying I want to do it, because that's just crazy talk no pun intended. But I recognize that it may possibly be good for me, as well as maybe for you. Perhaps being there for a while with no way of being able to hurt yourself with help you learn to be able to get away from it for even longer and hopefully forever. As for the alternative methods, I've asked that of thie people here, and have gotten little, but a good thought was excercise. It helps your mind go over things in a relaxing way. Support is also very crucial to this process, you really need someone behind you to help you get through those bad times when you feel like you need to do it. This may or may not have helped, but if you feel like you need someone who somewhat knows how it feels to have this kind of problem (although all are very different) I may be able to offer some sort of hand. Much luck, and much love<3

3. mike90

:slight_smile: thank you for replying. It does help. I am guessing that I just need to get my head round ideas of everything at the moment. I can see sense in what you say about maybe the hospital may be a good idea, but at the same time it scares me. It is more other people's reactions that I am bothered about. The other problem is I really do not feel ready to stop which is bad I know but I cant help it. Knowing that I am not alone makes things a little easier to contemplate so thank you xx

4. javgier

when i was young i used to hit myself alot and scratch at my skin. i never really went into cutting but there were plenty of bruises. the counselers tried putting medication but it wasnt what i wanted and it made me feel like a freak? i joined up with shou shu kung fu (my favoritest martial arts ^^) and it gave me something to look foward to? it kinda sounds cheesy but it worked for me. find something you wanna do? idk if my advice was of any help but i hope you get better kk. <3

5. mike90

Thank you... I am going to have to find something to do to take my mind of things. The medication makes me feel like I am seeing life from the other side of frosted glass if that makes sense. Like I am not part of the world, but can still interact with it. One random thing... you have the same name as one of my best friends here so that gets you extra credit lol xx

6. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have zero experiance with cutting but I just want to say that you are so brave for putting this out there and having your name next to it. Good work. You are one of the bravest people I know of.

7. TraceElement

First of all hun? You are NOT scum. We at EC care about you, as does your boyfriend. We all want to see you live another day and become stronger. I have also cut and continue to have VERY strong urges to do so. I have contemplated suicide several times in the last 5 or 6 years. While I have not experienced my parents divorcing, I do understand the cutting, rampant emotions, and things like that.
    One suggestion my therapist told me about is when you want to cut, try to figure out what is making you want to cut, find the emotion or thought behind it.
    Since you have been cutting for so long, it may seem like your routine, something that is engrained in your life. While some people do not understand why we do it, it serves a purpose. Until you find that one replacement activity though, you may not be able to kick cutting.
    If you can and are willing,try to find a group activity to do. For example, a local coffee shop in my area has a Lesbian Connection once a month. Try and join a recreational sports team, or learn some form of karate. Take up yoga or meditation.

8. javgier

yay ^^ :grin: i have a special call number from a friend, if im pissed he lets me rant hardcore >....> you can find a buddy to text or call :grin: idk? friends are made for this reason XD to help you stand tall when you cant stand alone. <-- where did i hear that? O.e lol

9. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

I never got into cutting. I used to bite and pinch my hands and forearms mostly. I also wore rubber bands on my wrists so during really stressful situations I could pop myself with them. I would make it look like I was just playing with it, but I would do it hard enough to sting and leave read marks on my wrists. I picked up a razor a few times and pressed it to my skin, but I never broke skin. It just wasn't my method. The thing that stopped me from doing these things is writing. I'd always liked writing, creative mostly, but ever since my Mom took one of my journals and read it to everyone in the house and they all laughed at me, made a big joke about the stuff that was in there, I didn't trust writing any of my real feelings about anything anymore. But eventually I got over that and just kept my shit more private and let out all my agression through words on paper. I wasn't good at talking. My voice is strongest on paper. I propose picking up a creative hobby. Writing, drawing, coloring, even cross stitching all work for me. I'm no artist, but it helps just to stab a thick piece of paper with a coloring pencil or scribble out my agression. I call that my "Angry Art." I'm not a sports person, so athletics was never a good therapy method for me. If you can't get into sports, something creative could be a good release too.

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry any of us has to go through shit like this. But hey, it builds character. Maybe it's just the writer in me, but I don't think that's such a bad thing, gives me something to write about. :slight_smile:

10. mike90

Charni - although I do not feel brave thank you because your comment made me smile

TraceElement - Thank you. I am trying to find what it is behind it. I know that there is something that makes me do it but it is so deeply buried I don't know what it is. I am looking for something to do to replace hurting myself but (and I am embarrassed about this) so far nothing feels as good. I have days when I prefer cutting myself to having sex and that makes me feel horrible :frowning2:

Javgier - I also have a friend on speed dial (actually the guy with the same name as you lol) and he helps me a hell of a lot. He has stopped me from doing so many things and after my bf he is the best person in the world.

WillowMaiden - Although you have not cut you know the emotions behind self harm and that means I am glad you answered. Your mum reading the things you had written was not fair and to be honest I have total respect for you for being able to carry on using that as a way to let things out. I am also not athletic and because of medical conditions I am not able to do a lot of physically exerting things so writing is the best bet for me. I am looking at new things to start but not quite sure what that is yet :frowning2:.

Thank you all for answering :grin: xx

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All those feelings: anger confusion, frustration, fear have to come out in some way. You don’t have anyone to direct them at, so you direct it at yourself.
    Like you said your parents were too busy fighting to help you when you needed it, I can relate I was a knee biter.
    As to why you don’t know that this is odd behavior, well in a sense all your doing is lashing out, but instead of mouthing off to teachers or smashing things up your hurting yourself. You want to do something but you don’t know what.
    Anyway those are my thoughts.

Good luck

12. Fiddledeedee

I don't know what to say, other than you are not scum, self harming is a kind of coping method though not a healthy one, and I cut myself as well. I understand some of what you are feeling, though my reasons are different.

I started just before Christmas, and haven't done it since New Year's Eve, but I really really want to. With recent exams, I feel like I can just never please my mother –*fighting with her was what triggered me to self harm at all. I still think of my cutting in the present tense, and just today someone was really STUPID in what they were saying about cutting in class and made me want to do it again. I find that to get past the urge of wanting to do it, I can try to be with someone, even if all I do is stay in the same room. I can write something unrelated to my feelings, and that will help me focus on other stuff. I can get out of the house and away from the razors, and that works for me as well. Please, do not try to convince yourself that you are scum. You are not.

To think on a couple of your points, you do realise it is not normal. But somehow you need to let out those emotions, find a way to cope, whatever, and you have no other way. In a way, I don't want to stop cutting myself either, but after a while I was able to think about just what it might end up doing to my life. I'm sorry I can't do much other than tell you what I've done, but I hope I can be of a little help, and that you find another, not destructive, thing to do soon.

(*hug*)

13. mike90

Thank you fiddledeedee and thank you malachite :slight_smile:

As some people suggested that I spent some time trying things instead of hurting myself. I just thought I would share one of my poems with you all.

Laying Shattered on my bed,

I close my eyes to get to sleep,

Knowing what is in store,

I shudder and begin to weep.

Eyelids are heavy and drooping,

Wishing I could not ever dream,

For nightmares forever haunt me,

Snippets of my past I glean.

I need not fear what's after death,

For each night I fall through hell,

My skin scorched by demon's whips,

My own burning flesh I smell.

Nose blocked by the burning,

Eyes burned out by fire,

Tongue just a burning scream,

Heart empty of all desire.

Yet further still I fall,

Glass stabbing my raw skin,

Knowing when I awaken,

My true hell will begin.

Noise crashes upon me,

A million children's screams,

Each a dagger in my heart,

A dagger from my dreams.

Satan himself mocks me,

Exploiting all my fears,

All remaining resilience,

Just stinging, salty tears.

I am but a broken man,

Nightmaring on hell's shores,

Sleeping with devils and sprites,

Surrounded by murders, traitors, whores.

Lucifer calls me to his palace,

In a lake of shimmering fiery ice,

He asks me if I want to wake,

And then he throws fates unholy dice.

My numbers don't come up,

Thankfully I can stay,

Living this, more easy path,

I stay in hell another day.

What scares me the most,

Is waking up to live,

I'd do anything to not go back,

The devil my soul I'd give.

I feel my eyelids flickering,

Being dragged back through hell,

On it is with the mask again,

Another day... Oh well.

Mike x

#13 mike90, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  14. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My counselor sent me to the hospital... twice almost immediately after I told her I was suicidal, it didn't help. This is the 4th week I've gone without cutting, and though it's a small achievement I am still rather proud of it.

I've stopped seeing my therapist, I can't tell her anything and you seem to have the same problem. I'm not really in a state to tell you that life is worth living, but the way I like to put it is that if not for yourself live for someone else. At least that way you'll give yourself more time to get out of the rut you've dug.

Normal depends on who you hang out with. There is no single definition of normal so don't worry about living up to it.

Cutting isn't something you just stop. If you aren't ready to stop you can't force yourself easily. My advice would be to find something to do. Being alone and bored just opens the door up wide for self harm.

If I'm wrong then I apologize but it looks to me like you're trying to punish yourself. It won't make any sense right now but ask yourself why. It's easy to tell yourself that you're trash or not worth saving but that's the thing, you're telling yourself that. If you say it enough it's easy to think it's true. You aren't a bad person nor do you deserve to hurt all the time, no one does.

I probably didn't give very much advice but I'm almost always on so feel free to talk if you need to.

(*hug*)

15. mike90

What you said does help, a lot, so thank you :slight_smile:. Well done for managing to go so long without cutting, I understand how much of an achievement that is and do not underestimate it.

In terms of asking myself why I want to punish myself I can answer that in three ways. Primarily I do not feel I am worth anything and that I should not even have been born, but I understand arguments against that. The second reason I can see for me to punish myself is that I have done bad things and my being alive is a cause of harm to people (including those close to me) so I want to be punished for that. The third answer I have is that I am punishing myself in advance for being so weak that I allow myself to cut, which is a vicious circle.

A lot of the time I do not self injure to punish myself but to see if I can feel anything at all. By their very nature emotions are something that we all experience differently. I do not experience positive emotions at all to be honest and the extremely negative emotions do not last long with me, however after a few seconds I feel numb. When I feel numb I do not always know whether I am actually here or feeling anything. That is why I like to cut. The other worrying thing is that I do not always feel anything at all even when I cut. At the most extreme it takes days for me to feel where I did cut.

As I said thank you for writing back to me. It means a lot to have people to talk to and people on this site are amazing. :slight_smile:

Mike x

16. peanutbutter

I understand and an relate a bit. I had a cutting habit for a few years from ages 16-20. I am twenty. At first it was to feel the pain physically that I was experiencing emotionally and mentally. For me it became a habit I didn't want to stop at the same time I didn't see how it was destroying my world and those who loved me. My senior year of high school I was hospitalized (saved my life). Then that summer I was hospitalized again. Then in november I was freaked out because of what my classmate will ask "where were you" to my friends and family at church.

I am bi-polar so before we really concluded that I was on anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. Zyprexa, Seroquel, Lexapro, Lithium, Welbutrin, Norton, Risperdal. A lot. I am on Lamictal currently and seroquuel it tool a long time for us to find the right medication to help em feel better. It doesn't take all the pain away it clears my head so I can realistically look at my experiences.

Last november 2011 made a year of not cutting. So I have been clean for 1 year 2 months. It's possible and it takes a lot of work and it's something that you personally have to commit to. The hospital was hard I was in the adolescent unit so it was okay. They don't take kids after 21. So the staff was nicer and really wants children to get healthy so that as an older adult late 20's etc you don't have to ever come back.

I was also told by my foster mom "all that matters is you are helping yourself." there are stigmas around being gay and have a struggle. It's hard and some days will be harder that others but not every day.

If a hospital will help you then, don't think less of your self for it. There job is to help keep you safe and get you accurate help really fast. Which is what I like I didn't have to make future appointments when I left I had the best doctor that could take my insurance to see that monday.

You are not alone. All though it's been a year I miss it, which I googled because I thought I was alone. But it became my drug and I can't afford to relapse and before I do I'll go to the er.

one more thing my mom told me "don't make permanent decisions in temporary situations." I'll keep you in my prayers! You are not alone.

17. mike90

:slight_smile: I am glad that what I have said on here makes sense and that people are able to help me with it. I feel so much less alone now which is good. Thank you for sharing this with me because it really does help x

18. peanutbutter

Every day is a process! I wrote thread about mental illness and being gay. Check it out! There are others who may have not commented on your but you are not alone. Never will be!

:music::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::thewave:

19. outcast2005

outcast2005 Guest

I used to cut, burn, pull out my hair, and harm myself as a way of self-punishment and also somehow as a way to get attention. A few weeks ago I even started cutting at Church--I went to the kitchen during Sunday school and would take out the kitchen knife and try to slit my wrists. It surprises me that nobody would notice or comment on it. When it was really bad, I used to cut out words with the knife. The knives in the LDS church kitchens are very dull, as are the knives at my home. I used to hate myself for being attracted to women and one time when I was fifteen, I tried to hang myself in the basement. I was hospitalized for going insane when I was fifteen, hospitalized again for an OD the day before graduation, and hospitalized a third time when I was 21 for psychosis in a mental health facility for three whole months. I just try to take it one day at a time and wait for the day I can move out and be myself at last. Try to work on your talents and goals and never put yourself down. Also, remember to socialize. I sometimes work on my writing to the point that I obsess and withdraw from the outside world until it feels like I am an alien when I talk to others outside the family. Take things in moderation and find someone trustworthy to confide in.

20. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a friend who was a cutter. Her counselor told her to put a rubber band on wrist and snap it when she felt like cutting. it might help