1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bone health- it's scaring me

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RaeofLite, Feb 1, 2012.

1. RaeofLite

I went through a period of eating disordered behaviour when I was younger.

Now that I"m in my 20s, I have started to hear my hips and joints crack all on their own. I am of a healthy weight, and I do squats, and walk a lot. When it's warmer such as in spring and summer I am more healthy in that I do moderate exercise. I eat really healthy and rarely do I eat unhealthy foods. When I walk or bend, I hear this distinct click or crack. It doesn't hurt, but my back muscles sometimes tense because my job is demanding on the body.

I am worried that I might be developing osteoarthritis or osteoporosis. Anyone who can give me advice or who has or is going through the same thing should post! Thanks.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the same problem. I can crack almost every bone in my body.

3. LOTRgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I went through an eating disorder a couple years ago and my bones crack as well- I can crack bones that I didn't even think could crack and my knees pop when I go up stairs. I totally understand this, though- we have super similar stories it sounds like, what with the moderate working out and eating healthy. I've been dealing with this for about two years and nothing horrible has ever happened to me, but if you're worried, there's nothing a quick check in with your doctor won't fix! :slight_smile:

4. KaraBulut

The medical term is joint crepitus. It's caused by several things but as long as it is not associated with pain, it's harmless.

5. mike90

A lot of the people have small amounts of lubricating fluid between joints. The click you hear is the fluid being pushed between parts of the joint. There are other causes.

If you visit your doctor they will be able to send you off for a calcium, vitamin D and bone profile check. Providing that these are OK then there is nothing to worry about. It may be worth getting it tested just to put your mind at rest. xx

6. i would say its nothing to worry about.
    i suffered an ed a few years back and i got my bone density done, it was low. but my joints click and its normal....

but, if youre worried i would get your bloods done so they can check your calcium and stuff just to be on the safe side :slight_smile: