1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nightmares

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mlpguy88, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been having nightmares alot more frequently lately and I'm not sure why, but it's really been effecting my sleep and energy level. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them or know some way to remedy this?

2. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

maybe look at your life and find out what things are causing you pressure, stress or things that you're obsessing on and try to deal with those at least from an emotional perspective. i also started running (not away from my problems...actually running lol) do you exercise?

another thing i can't do is eat less than two hours before i go to bed, that always gives me nightmares :/

3. TraceElement

Seconded. Also, are there any changes in your routine or start a new med?

4. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I did start new meds a few week ago, I didn't even think that. I was thinking it could be caused by stress but I'm not sure. I had nightmares last night and I kept waking up, I really wish I could what they were about.

5. TraceElement

Check the side effects of the meds, and if it is that, let your doctor know. They should be able to switch you to a different med to help.
    To help with the stress, like sunsetting said, try exersizing. Take a jog, walk, yoga, or boxing. You may also find that journaling may also help.

6. javgier

i was having nightmares for the longest time v.v what i did was go to sleep and in my dreams try and find out what the hell was wrong. after like a month with nightmares i was finally able to figure out what was wrong. thats when i resolved my problem. try and keep track of your dreams and then search the internet for what it might mean, that kinda helped me fig out what was wrong. lol dreams forced me to face my reality.

7. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't change my meds, it's for my MS and it's really one of the few options that I have left considering my last one wasn't working. I guess if I have to I'll just learn to live with restless nights, but still it could just be stress related, or at least thats what i hope.

8. mike90

Usually if it is a side effect of new medication it will settle down within a couple of weeks.

You could always ask for some sleeping pills, maybe amitripyline (if you can take these), or zopiclone (again if this is suitable). It may be that these will help send you into a deeper sleep. If the first two are contraindications for your other meds then tamazepam may be of help but this may lead to excessive sleeping because it is strong.

Hope this helps.

Mikexx

9. kirbycat

I sometimes find that playing some nice, peaceful music very quietly in my room when I go to sleep helps to keep my subconscious in a happier place during the night. You could put together a short playlist of nice songs, or just set your mp3 player to play for 30 minutes or so until you're asleep (so it doesn't keep going through the whole night). Though I don't know if this kind of environmental stimulus would be enough to overpower the effects of your medication, if that is what's causing the nightmares.

10. Noir

Ever since I discovered that I can cause myself to have a nightmare based on what I think about before bed, I've been focusing on just relaxing and emptying my head as much as possible before I fall asleep. I usually start by thinking of as little as possible, and then loosening my jaw. After that I slowly relax all my muscles from my feet back up to my head.

Hope you sleep better soon! No one likes nightmares! (*hug*)

11. jsmurf

I don't have nightmares, I have night terrors. Where I wake up at 5 am, alert with my eyes open but physically paralyzed so that I can't speak. And feel this presence pushing down on me and trying to strangle me to death. I try to cry out for help, but can't pry my mouth open.

It occurs a few times a month usually. :/

12. lonleyheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well it depends on what ur dreaming about sometimes or could be what ur eating or drinking before u sleep sometiems. but ya when eve ri have somethign bugging me or somethings just not right i get nightmares and they dotn stop till i either deal with it or odly enough for get about it lol bu tya try a nice warm glass of milk or if ur like me an cant drink miilk try no caffine maybe glass water