1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Bra Question

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by kirbycat, Feb 4, 2012.

1. kirbycat

I've been having some bra-wearing issues lately, and could use some suggestions from my fellow boob owners out there. Basically, over the past couple months, wearing a bra has become really uncomfortable. Even the ones I've had for a year or so just don't feel right. Wireless, push-up, sports bra, whatever. It either feels really constricting, like a corset, or like it's not putting support in the right places.

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the fact that I stopped taking birth control a few months ago...when I starting taking it 3 or 4 years ago, it actually made my chest grow a little - which isn't a bad side effect to have, except that I grew unevenly, maybe half a cup-size more on the left than the right (for that reason I mostly wear wireless bras, since they have more stretch room). I wonder if coming off the pill is causing things to change again. I don't feel like I'm losing size, though; I don't look any smaller, and anyway the problem is that my bras feel too tight. Basically it's like my boobs and my ribcage just don't want any pressure on them.

I have lost a little weight recently, but nothing major; all my clothes still fit just fine. I haven't had any health issues and I'm not pregnant or anything. Could this just be one of those random annoying changes the female body sometimes likes to inflict on us?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for good, comfortable bras? I'm average-size (around a 34C); I don't need extra back support or anything like that. Just something comfy and attractive.

2. I have only two words for you: Get Fitted.

Custom bras are expensive, but honestly, having at least one bra perfectly made for you is a whole new experience. Other than that, I honestly don't know why your bras are so suddenly uncomfortable. (but that really sucks D:slight_smile: I guess it could be the changes you've undergone recently, but regardless of cause, getting fitted and asking advice at a store like Victoria's Secret or a department store where they have bra fittings might be your best bet.

3. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^^^ I agree with thedreamwatch. I was wearing the wrong size bra until I got fitted at Victoria's Secret. You can go there or somewhere else and get fitted. They won't make you buy their bras just because they fit you. You could look around and if you don't see anything you can go to another store. VS workers are very nice and make you feel comfortable in an otherwise uncomfortable situation.

4. kirbycat

I've been fitted at VS and a couple other places before; you're right, they're very nice, but they've always measured me at the size I'd been buying anyway. Helpful, but not really life-changing. I haven't been fitted since this issue arose though, so I suppose it'd be worth another try.

5. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard that often with hormone changes your boobs change in tenderness/size. Breast tenderness happens when you are getting ready to start your period to some. So it would make sense that if you stop taking birth control (which alters your hormones I think?) you would have some tenderness. That is what happens to me. You don't want anything at all to touch you because it hurts. Is that what it's like?

I have never taken birth control so I'm not knowledgeable on that. You could talk to your doctor if you feel like the birth control issue is messing with your body too much. Does it get worse around the time you have your period? You don't have to answer that but it might have to do with hormonal changes.

6. kirbycat

I wouldn't say it hurts, but it's definitely tender...like I wish I could just go around topless. Some days it's more intense than others, but I haven't noticed any difference around my period specifically.

The reason I started on birth control was to control intensely painful cramps during my period. Fortunately this problem hasn't come back up since coming off the pill...and I guess a little breast tenderness isn't a huge price to pay in comparison.

7. KaraBulut

^^QFT

A lot of women get professional bra fittings and discover that they have been wearing the wrong size. There are specialty lingerie shops that have knowledgeable fitters and they can help you find both a size and style that are more comfortable.

8. Meli

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't know what your issues ate, specifically, but i do have relatively large breasts (38DD) an recently lost some weight and my bras started hurting a lot an even shafing in some areas. I got "fitted" and they always measure a couple of sizes larger, do I never go for that. I found out that getting bras in my same size or a cup smaller but with "extra" lift, like a miracle bra or a push up helps a lot. But I think this is because my issue comes from my boobs sagging a bit from the weight loss. What I recommend is try On different sizes and styles. Victoria's secret angels push up bras work perfectly for me, but it all depends on your shape and level of comfort. Just go to a lingerie store, try on everything, jump up and down on them, run in the same spot, lift your arms and do
    Every possible uncomfortable position ever and see which one agrees with you. God luck!

9. ahayzee

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have found that Victoria Secret bras are very comfortable. My personal favorite is the t-shirt push-up bra (not the cotton ones, but the smooth fabric ones). I have tried Maidenform (which are awesome), Lily of France are no-go, Fredericks' bras are cheaply made and don't fit boobs well...and many many more I have tried. Victoria Secret is your best bet IMO.

Good luck, let us all know what happens after a fitting and what type of bra you found that worked for you.

<3 Lexi(&&&)

10. dyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    should I go and get fitted again for a bra?