1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tooth pain...UGH!!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kimi, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Kimi

So I went to dentist to get my teeth check up while ago and I found out I got a cavity in a back tooth and he drilled my tooth and filled the hole with some kind of chemical that goes hard in few secs. And he told me to come back in a week so he can put a proper crown on.

I didn't really had pain when I had chemical stuff(It hurts like hell when he was drilling) for a week when I eat or drink cold stuff.
    But today was the day to get proper crown on, and there it is nasty looking metal crown on a back tooth(I think I'll change it to more tooth looking stuff later) and he asked me if it hurts bad or not and I didn't notice any bad pain at the moment so I said it's fine and went to home.
    But when I drink something it hurts like hell!!!!

Pain goes away within few secs but it sure made me fall off from a chair.
    And I was wondering if it's normal...like if it will hurt even after you get crown on when you drink something.

If this pain won't go away, I think I need to remove nerves there:bang:

2. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Sometimes that will happen Kimi. The mass of metal takes on the cold rather quickly and transfers the cold to the nerve rather quickly, thus the pain. Once the crown was put on, the natural insulation offered by your natural tooth was removed, with the metal now being much less. It may take a few weeks for the pain to go away, but actually it is your nerve ending at the root of the tooth getting "use" to it and not responding as much. I have a couple of gold crowns on a few back teeth and each time it took a while to get use to cold liquids and ice cubes. Also some experience the same with hot, but not as much.

If you still have it in as great as intensity and after a couple of weeks, check with the dentist again, something is wrong.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Kimi, you could try using desensitizing toothpaste for awhile. That might help.

4. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Desenciwhat?

5. Kimi

Thanks, JayHew(*hug*)
    I'll definitely hope it will go away soon...:icon_sad:

I think my mom has similar kind of toothpaste so I think I'm gonna try that:slight_smile:
    Thanks!!

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Desensitizing. "Desensitize" means "make less sensitive". Toothpaste for sensitive teeth is supposed to make them less sensitive, though I don't know how it works.

It's worth trying as it can't do any harm and it could help.

7. Astaroth

It sounds to me as if the root of your tooth (nerve and tissue both) may be dying. It sounds horrible, and it feels worse. I had it happen when I cracked one of my back teeth about a year ago. The nerve got inflamed and infected and basically died in my mouth. It was the most painful thing physically I've ever felt. I only got to sleep when I descended into a delirium of pain after about forty hours awake. The only solution was to get a root canal. A root canal is a fairly expensive procedure in which the dying nerve tissue is removed from the inside of the tooth all the way down to the jaw using needle-like files. Then the empty holes are rinsed out with a bleach solution to kill any infection and then filled in with a temporary shell like porcelain until you get a proper crown on. All in all, the procedure will cost about $2000 (half for the filing away of the root and half for the crown itself). Here are the main symptoms of root decay:

1. Extreme sensativity to hot and cold
    2. Pressure sensativity when chewing on that tooth
    3. A throbbing feeling almost like a pulse within the tooth itself
    4. Swelling of the gums where they join the jawbone (this is a pus build-up from infection)
    5. Very temporary relief from pain when drinking semi-cool water (about 1 minute without pain before it comes back, usually)
    6. Lockjaw or tense jaw muscles due to infection
    7. Sore jaw (caused by nerve pain from the tooth's root)

If those symptoms seem to match what you're feeling, I would highly recommend seeing an endodontist (unless your dentist also specializes in endodontics) so they can test to see if you need a root canal. They can also prescribe mid-level medication such as Loritab to dull the pain even if they can't operate at the time.

Hopefully that helps a little. I'm not an endodontist myself, but I job-shadowed one for a while and my ex-girlfriend's (the one and only) mother was an endodontist's assistant.

8. Kimi

I don't think that is my case, I mean, it is sensative but it's not like EXTREMLY or the most painful thing physically I've ever felt so I think it's not...
    But hopefully it won't happen to me ever...Hearing how you describe it, I might just die from pain:eek:

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think its pretty common for the tooth to be sensitve to hot and cold after getting a crown. I know my dentist has told me that.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

As JeyHew suggested, you need to see how it is after a couple of weeks. If it is no better then go back to the dentist and have it checked. Of course if it gets worse then go straight back.