1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have Raynauds?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by mischa91, Feb 10, 2012.

1. mischa91

I've had it for too many years to count. I've looked all over online for a forum to get some kind of support but the only one i found is very quiet, almost ghost town-ish.

I've finally had blood tests, so many blood tests :eek: to see if the Drs can determine if i have primary or secondary raynauds.

In case anyone is wondering this is Raynauds: very, very severe raynauds. (if the photos are not allowed, please feel free to remove it with my apologies)

photo (3).JPG

photo (2).JPG

I have it in both of my hands and my feet. Cold weather is the bane of my life. I have about 6 or 7, sometimes more of these attacks everyday in the winter. I also get them when i go into air conditioned buildings in the summer. It makes me cringe at how cold stores like to keep their temps.

So anyone else have this?

2. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My Mother has it and her Father as well. Their fingers will often turn blue/purple, sometimes white, even when it's rather warm inside the house when me and my brother, along with my Father, find it fine.

Neither of them have been formally diagnosed with it though, however, so there's not a lot I can suggest for it in terms of treatment (but your Doctor will get back to you on that, I've no doubt). What I know they both do is try and keep their core temperature up so blood flowing to their extremities is also warm. It's worked for the most part with my Mother by wearing extra layers inside, but she has found, even with sitting down for a few hours sitting still, she'll need to wear gloves. I guess in that case, regular movement helps in this case too to keep blood circulating to a maximum.

3. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have this to a moderate degree, and my aunt has it pretty severe. I spend a lot of time outside and riding my bicycle, so I make sure to wear heavily insulated socks and a nice warm (expensive) pair of winter gloves even during spring. Thankfully I find that the more flare-ups I prevent, the less likely I will flare-up at all. My aunt unfortunately has it worst, but she has pretty good luck using socks/gloves specially made for Raynauds patients. Her best tip is to keep a sack of rice or flaxseeds in a sock, and heat it up in the microwave when you need to knead it :slight_smile: I'm sorry to hear you have it so severe. *warm hugs* You have my sympathies.

4. mischa91

I know how she feels. I wear gloves at work now and have been wearing layers since around mid october. I can't sit for long without at least getting up and having a wander around to get the blood flowing again. I have an appointment next week to get the results of all my blood tests so hopefully something will come from that.

I wear big wool socks which does help to a certain degree when i'm at the barn. I've tried all kinds of gloves, i even have some really nice ski gloves but for some reason the big thick insulated gloves set flare-ups off faster with me, not sure why. Now i layer regular wool stretch gloves and stick those hot hands hand warmers between the layers. That usually gets me about an extra 20 minutes outside before it flares up.

That's funny about the sack of rice, i have one of those but use it as a warmer for my horses bit.

Thanks. I'm hoping to get something to help it soon, then i can be relatively normal when i go outside instead of that little icicle in the corner.

5. Tiny Catastrophe

I have it and it's a huge pain especially in the winter. My hands and feet are always cold. I keep gloves in my purse and always wear socks (sometimes 2 pair at a time).

6. breakingboxes

I have it and I get it like that... both my hands and feet and my ears and nose sometimes... :frowning2: I hate it. :frowning2:

7. Marlowe

I've just become accustomed to the idea that my hands will always be cold, sometimes painfully so. Even in the summer if the wind is blowing on a cooler day, I can be sweating and my hands will be ice cold. I just try to keep moving. I have a pair of finger less gloves I use when i am typing or writing because I find that these activities in particular aggravate it.

8. mischa91

I'm there with you, 2 pairs of socks and mountains of gloves on hand at all times :frowning2:

My nose gets very red and my ears do hurt in the cold. I hate it too, i wish there was some kind of relief other than being told to "move to a warmer climate".

I had too, but really why should we just get accustomed to something that hurts? If i can find some kind of relief i'm going to try. Oh and yeah, i get that too where i'm sweating with the heat and yet my hands are white and freezing, it's very inconvenient.

Well, i get the results of my blood tests tomorrow so i finally get to see if there's an underlying cause for all this madness or not.

Also i've taken up running to see if the extra exercise will make any difference to the frequency or severity of the symptoms.

9. mischa91

Just got my diagnosis of primary raynauds. I'm glad i don't have lupus or another auto immune disease to deal with. After the Drs assistant told me i had primary raynauds and that sometimes people just get it she basically said if anything else comes up to give her a call. So yeah, no help, they're not even going to try me on anything to see if they can lessen the symptoms.

I'm now considering moving to a warmer climate. I live in Ohio right now so anywhere will be better than this.