1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone struggling with accepting your sexuality on antidepressants?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by confusedbeaa, Feb 15, 2012.

1. confusedbeaa

I have good and bad days but am really struggling at the moment to accept my sexuality, i see a counsellor which helps for about an hour afterwards.. :frowning2: i am getting a bit desperate and was honestly thinking of going onto antidepressants. i know it won't solve this problem and i'll still have to deal with it, but does anyone know if it'll just take the edge off my sadness and make me at least abit happier?

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2012 at 03:56 PM ----------

and also i've lost alot of weight through being anxious and i've totally lost my appetite. probably lost about a stone in the last month. this worries me

2. Mogget

Antidepressants have a range of different effects on different people. When I began taking them, I found not that I was happier, but that I was capable of being happy for more than just brief flashes; the range of emotions I could feel was expanded. I also had more energy. In terms of sexuality, many antidepressants lower libido, which might make it harder for you to continue realizing you're bi or lesbian if sexual attraction is one of your biggest reminders. Ask your counselor if he or she thinks antidepressants are a good idea in your case, and work from there.

ETA: Talk to your counselor about the fact that it only helps your briefly. They may be able to give you some tips to get back into the post-counseling mindset.

3. Jim1454

I certainly benefited from using antidepressant when I was coming to terms with my orientation. I was also battling addiction, so I don't think I could have made it through without the help of medication.

For me, it lifted a 'fog' that seemed to have settled around me, and suddenly I was able to feel OK about things, and even good about them. I wasn't sad all the time, and I was able to cope with the challenges that I was facing. Medication really helped me.

4. confusedbeaa

thanks for your replies. i think i will try taking them if i don't improve over the next week, i am most concerned about my weight loss and just constant anxiety really. so anything that could help improve that side of things would be great!

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If weight is a big issue, be cautious and disclose that to the counselor (or therapist who will be prescribing); several of the SSRI-class antidepressants have weight gain as part of their common side effects.

Another question to ask yourself is how low are the lows? Depression sucks in any case, but there's a big difference between feeling down and crappy, and being so down that you are having difficulty functioning in daily life, no energy, difficulty getting up in the morning, etc.

If it's the former, you may not actually need the antidepressants and just need to give it a little time, talk about the feelings more, and work through it, after which, as you get more comfortable with yourself, the depression should life.

If it's the latter, then you probably should seriously consider the antidepressants.

Of course, in either case, your therapist and/or psychiatrist would be much better equipped than anyone on an Internet forum to make the determination for you :slight_smile:

6. Daveyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought i'd throw my two cents in on this one as I have been on anti depressants for 2 weeks now. Like chip said there is a big difference between feeling down and loosing your ability to function in everyday life.

I am still grappling with my sexuality and it had got to the point where I thought of nothing else. It had consumed my life and I was seriously depressed. Couldn't focus in work and would happily lie in bed for the rest of my life just so I didnt have to talk to anyone.

I certianly wouldn't go onto anti depressants thinking they are a quick fix. People react differently to them. After a few days I did start to feel alot more energetic. But it is a double edged sword especially at the start. I had severe bouts of anxiety and also suicidal thoughts. They got so much worse for me during the first week. My suicidal thoughts are completely gone now, the anxiety is alot let severe. There are alot of side affects that you have to ride out at the start aswell. The anti depressant I am on is 20mg Citalopram if you want to look up the side affects.

I am also in counselling. If anything it has given me the energy to tackle my issues straight on. Make changes in my life that I wouldn't have been able to do before. The only major obstacle I have faced so far is the major loss of libido. And by loss I mean there's no drive to have sex as such. There was abit of trouble standing to attention the first few days but this went away. You can still have sex but it makes it alot more difficult to orgasim. As such if you are trying to figure out your sexual feelings to one gender or the other. Or both in my case. It does muddy the waters abit. But then I have only been on them for two weeks. I believe there can be alot of trial and error with doses and different brands of anti depressant. But I would say I definately don't regret trying them as I see it as me moving forward. I may get to the point where I feel they are doing me no good and come off them. But then I know I'll have tried that avenue.

The way I see it is a kick in the ass in any direction is still progress.

7. maverick

Honestly? My suggestion is to start getting some serious exercise, rather than going on antidepressants.

Exercise: the Other Antidepressant | BU Today | Boston University

Not only will it increase your appetite (which should help with your weight loss issue) you'll get fit and it'll generally help your self esteem.

At this point I work out about 1-2 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, and I have to say that ever since I started doing it, it has improved my mood significantly. In a HUGE way. I was also on antidepressants at one point a few months after I came out because it was such a stressful period for me.

In my opinion, exercise works much better. Plus you don't develop a chemical dependency, or experience any nasty side effects. You work off stress, kick up endorphins, sleep better, eat better, and it is easier to think objectively when you are engaged in repetitive kinetic behaviors. It's practically the perfect package to battle depression and anxiety.

And you get a hot bod out of the deal too! :icon_wink

#7 maverick, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  8. Lewnatic

I would refrain getting on medication unless it is without a doubt the final option. It can be hard to pull yourself off medication once you've started (I'm not talking about addiction, I'm talking about dependency). From experience, there is one thing that works better than anything else - better than having a good cry to get it out of your system, better than talking to a close friend/family member for assurance - and that is: EXERCISE. I can't stress it enough. I went swimming in the morning one day and it left me feeling alive and happy for the rest of it.

9. Merlot

Awwww cheer up!!:slight_smile: Its hard being a young person in this day and age, I would avoid drugs and just try hard to take it easy and focus on the most important things in your life. Dont become obsessed with labeling yourself either, just stay true and things will work themselves out perfectly. They always do.