1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with withdrawal symptoms?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DarkClarity, Feb 17, 2012.

1. DarkClarity

I know this how sad this sounds but I'm addicted to sugar. I feel crappy unless I consume something sugary. I guess for a little while it helps fill the void. Recently I've been experiencing physical symptoms which suggest that unless I get this under control, I could very end up with diabetes. (I will go to the doctor to get tested.) Now, I've stopped eating/drinking sugary stuff but now I'm having withdrawal symptoms (again, pathetic).

So I was wondering if anybody has any techinques to deal with withdrawal symtoms?

2. squally89

Hi DarkClarity,

I used to be overweight when I was in middle school and I loved eating deep fried food and of course CANDY. I would buy gummy bears, sour keys and my all time favourite gummy cola candy. I didn't experience the negative health benefits, but I did get bullied, called fat and the classic being picked last in gym class.

Things I learned while I was fat:
    1.) Gradual changes are better than dramatic changes (attempted to go on a fruit diet, lasted 12 hours...epic fail) Think about sustainability than results
    2.) Reward yourself for improvements! (I remember I would set a timer e.g. 6 hours, and if I can wait 6 hours I can consume one sweet item and if I exercise during the 6 hours I can consume 3 candies)
    3.) Water is my best friend! Thankfully to dance and other activities they did not allow sugary drinks like pop anymore in my diet. So water became my best friend and I made sure to drink so much my urine is transparent everyday during the weight loss.
    4.) Keep yourself motivated - Tell your friends what you are doing and how they can help by monitoring your progress. I seen people do that on Facebook and Twitter and have people keep tabs on them.
    5.) Last but not least, you need to be happy about taking this step to change. Gotta commitment and know that's the way it has to be. No excuses.

Hope that helps!

3. Aya McCabre

If you find you can't stop eating sugar it's worth seeing a doctor about it. I've known people who had similar addictions that turned out to be related to chemical imbalances that could be corrected with medication. Not always the case but worth ruling out if you're having trouble.

4. DarkClarity

@squally89: Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely take them on board.

@Aya McCabre: I'm going to have to see a doctor soon anyway so I'll bring that up.