1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Workout!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Justindee13, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Justindee13

1-IF I work out in the morning, is it better to eat first then workout or workout then eat breakfast?

2-Do I lift first, or run first?

3-When I lift is it ok if I do 3 reps increasing the weight at each rep?

4-Should I eat anything before or after the workout not necessarily in the morning?

5-How can I hit on a guy at the gym, haha jkjk :wink:

Yes, I know there is a workout thread but I wanted experience that works!:icon_bigg

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

1. That's totally up to you and open to debate. Some people say you should eat and then others say they can't finish their workouts if they do. I prefer not to eat before I run because it tends to make sick and I feel like it gives me a side stich more often than not, but if I do eat I'll only eat a salad or some granola or something really light, maybe some pretzels or toast or something like that.

2. You should alternate days. So, for example, if you decide to run on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, then you should lift on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and then rest on Sunday. You need to space out any exercise you do so you don't overexert yourself too much. You should workout your upper and lower body on different days.

3. I'm not an expert and I don't lift, but I think you would probably be better off to slow it down a bit. Stick with a set weight and number of reps for a week and then up that by about 5-10% the next week or the week after that. I'm sure someone else can give you better lifting advice.

4. I think the rule is that if your workout is longer than an hour you should drink Gatorade or something similar to replace electrolytes lost. Other than that, you'll probably be fine eating anything as long as it's healthy, obviously.

#2 Kidd, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  3. flymetothemoon

I don't have a ton of advice for you, but I can tell you this; if you are working out in the morning, you should most certainly eat something before you go to workout. Otherwise, your body will not have the energy it needs to handle your workout. If you have recently eaten, then it's not a big deal if you don't eat immediately before you go to the gym, but you definitely should not be working out on a completely empty stomach. However, you also don't want to eat too much or you may feel sick. Here is an article with some good advice about what to eat when going to the gym: 5 Foods to Fuel Your Workout - iVillage

4. Ridiculous

IF I work out in the morning, is it better to eat first then workout or workout then eat breakfast?
    Some people like exercising on an empty stomach, some people like to have some energy reserves from eating. However you won't be able to exercise as effectively if you haven't eaten for a long period beforehand as you simply won't have any available energy reserves. If you are going to eat beforehand a good guideline is to give it atleast half an hour afterwards before you start exercising, just to give everything a chance to settle.

Do I lift first, or run first?
    Most sources suggest to do them apart, as Kidd says. If you have to do both in one day, then do the resistance exercise (lifting) second so your body will be able to focus on recovery once you are done.

When I lift is it ok if I do 3 reps increasing the weight at each rep?
    I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean 3 sets, with each set having slightly more weight than the last? Changing weight between each rep will make you waste a lot of time resulting in your muscles being under-exerted.
    It is more effective to start with the higher weight, and then reduce it as you get tired in subsequent sets - if you do it the other way then you are starting off with a weight that is less than you can handle, which won't lead to any gains (or not very effective ones).
    The weight you are using should be high enough so that, by the end of about 5-8 reps, you physically can't do any more. For the next set (after about a 45-60 seconds of rest) you probably won't be able to do the same number of reps with that weight, so you can either reduce the weight or do slightly fewer reps.
    3 sets of 5-8 reps, with the final rep being failure is usually the best suggestion. If you can't do this many reduce the weight, if you can do more increase it. Each rep should take about 5 seconds, so the whole lot should take about 5 minutes - don't be one of those fools that tries to do it as fast as possible and only ends up hurting themselves while not even targeting the muscle they wanted to.

Should I eat anything before or after the workout not necessarily in the morning?
    You should ensure that you are eating a sustained source of protein throughout the day for building muscle. This is much more important than what you eat directly afterwards, as the muscle repair will be happening over the next 72+ hours after the workout, not just the first 2.
    That said, it is a good idea to eat something afterwards to replace energy stores, and something with protein in it to give your body a 'booster' to get recovery started with. A glass of milk, handful of peanuts, just something snackish like that.
    If you can time your workouts so you'll be having a proper meal within an hour or two afterwards, then that is best.

5. KaraBulut

As others mentioned, you'll have a better workout if you have a light meal before your workout. Most people go 6-10 hours without food during sleep, so you do need nutrition after waking.

Running is an activity that triggers weight loss. Weightlifting triggers muscle gain. They're opposite things, so they're not done together.

On weight days, running should just be a warmup- usually 5-10 minutes is enough to get your body warmed up. If you do a day of full cardio, it's better not to do weight work on the same day.

Find what works for your body. Honestly, if you're a beginner it doesn't matter whether you do reps or sets or pyramids or any of the advanced stuff. It's more important that you lift and you lift correctly. Doing the exercises the right way with the right amount of weight is what is important.

The research says that protein consumed after a workout is when it is most effective. A protein shake, smoothie or protein bar is a good post-workout snack. After that, just eat on your regular schedule.

Usually, "Hi" is a good place to start.

6. TheDifferent13

I think the upper posters summed up everything you wanted to know pretty good.

I just have one good advice about nutrition I got a while back (this probably doesnt apply if you eat beforehand)... after a workout, a body is basically starving to get some nutrition and will take it from wherever it can, so for best mucle build, it's best to eat right after the workout or at least up to 1 hour after (called golden hour), when you should eat food with protein, a lot of carbohydrates and as little fat as possible (it slows your digestion), to regenerate muscles and restore the energy.

7. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, I recommend boxing training it combines a lot.

1. Better to eat before hand, your body otherwise goes into starvation mode and rations your minerals etc, you'll build more muscle with replenished protein.

2. Warm up your legs first, then loosen the arms and if you box with weights on your feet work constitutes the running.

3. Your better off with a consistent weight in my opinion, I build my punches strength by keeping the same weight applied, my arms get used to it and start to build speed with that weight so when I take off the weights its much faster and stronger, but you will be in agony if you do over do it, pacing is very important and its counter productive killing yourself doing it.

4. Milk- An excellent way of stocking up on calcium and protein, its actually more beneficial than some sports drinks and full fat milk gives you enough energy to get by.

8. Bibliophile

One word on working out. P90X it is the most evil system ever designed and I love it. It has been helping me a massive amount. Just remember I warned you its evil if you try it...........:badgrin: