1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pain in my leg and my feet hurt after running

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Chickzak, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Chickzak

For some reason, my right leg is really hurting, so that when I walk, I cant put any pressure on my right leg or if I stand, I cant put any weight on it otherwise it will ache. After doing my run today, I didn’t feel any pain at the time, otherwise I might have stopped or jogged.
    So, the structure of my run today:
    I warmed up by doing a slow paced walk, then turning this into a brisk walk; I then began to jog and gradually ran into a sprint; I kept this routine up for about an hour. I then rested for an hour and got something to drink. Then for the last half an hour, I just finished the exercise with a half an hour quick walk. After around 10 mins, I realised how much my right leg hurt.. but I’m not sure why. I admit I didn’t do any stretches before I started the run, but I would assume that would cause both legs to hurt –not just one?

Its also worth mentioning I slipped as I was finishing the sprint, but I didn’t feel any pain at the time, so I don’t know if that’s why it hurts now. What do you think?
    I’m a little worried if I leave the leg as it is, its going to hurt tomorrow and I wont be able to run aswell, so is there anything I can do to help it or apply anything on my leg?

And, about my feet... ouch!! I feel like I have invisible blisters at the bottom of my feet, though I definitely blame this on my new shoes I was running in. Such a bad move!! Just wondered if you can recommend kind of cream so I’m still able to run again 2moro.
    Has anybody tried applying an oil on your body when you’re in pain and massaging your with it? A friend told me to that a while ago but I’m not sure if it’ll help.

So any ideas to help this pain or any experiences? Thank yoou!!

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    chances are you stand more on your left leg, so the right leg is weaker, so working it out is gonna make it sore.
    Apply heat and rest it for a day or 2.

be sure and stretch before running

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    malachite's advice is more or less on the money. I don't know how physically active you are, but honestly just sounds like you may have overworked your leg. And feet hurting after running is quite common especially if you're not putting the right support when running which is probably the most common problem for runners. They don't remember to start at the heel and then move the pressure forward evenly. Just take some time, you'll feel better in a day or two. I'd suggest taking a day off from running.

4. TraceElement

Like revan said, make sure you have the right supports for your feet. Having the right supports will not only help your feet, they will help your knees and hips... not quite sure how, possibly keeping them in proper allignmet. Also, make sure your posture is good. An altered gait can cause pain in different areas.
    You said your leg hurt. That's kind of a broad term. Is it your muscles or joints? Is it an achy feeling or is it a throbbing pain? Does it come and go, or is it constant?

5. Chickzak

I'm not too sure if its muscles or joints, the pains at my top left leg, so I think it could be muscle pain. I reckon I overdid myself, esp since I didnt do any warm up and relied on the walk at the start. Its not throbbing at all, it just aches when I walk, so I have to put my weight on my other leg to stop the pain, and its constant.

Thanks for the reply everyone, I thin k ishould take a break a while :frowning2:

6. TraceElement

I don't have an MD after my name, but it sounds like a sore muscle. Stretch your quads, hamstring, and hip. Take some Advil to reduce inflimation, and take it easy for a few days. If it still bothers you then, call up your doctor.

7. TheDifferent13

When I started running, I pushed myself too hard and ended up with a pulled hamstring (small tearing in the muscle on the upper back part of your leg) and like you, it hurt me when walking but was fine while running (after I was warmed up).

Basically what I had to do is stop running for about a week, so if you think that what you feel is a muscle pain, I suggest you take a break from running also. What also helps when you pull a muscle is applying an ice massage - basically grab an ice cube and rub your muscle with it (for around 10-15 mins at a time) and the sooner after injury you do this, the better (this is basically for the swelling and the injury). After a few days, when swelling is gone apply heat instead of ice (also about 10-15 mins at a time) and do some easy stretching or walking, which helps with the recovery.

When it gets better, to prevent this from happening again, a good stretching will always help, also don't over-burden your muscles, as tired muscles tend to get damaged easier. One more important thing is to drink a lot of water or other liquids and not just after, but also before and during the exercise, cause dehydration usually leads to muscle pain among other things.

I hope you get better soon and that any of this will be helpful :slight_smile:

8. Daisy1

More supportive running sneakers might do the trick. I had tons of leg and foot pain before I upgraded my sneakers. A good runners shop will help you find a pair with the right fit and support.