1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finasteride

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Bowie, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Bowie

Hello,

I've been taking a daily 1mg dose of finasteride since October 28th as a treatment for hair loss. Does anyone here know about the side-effects? I have noticed both a slight loss of libido and some decrease in sexual performance. I can have erections, but I've lost them a couple of times and they aren't as... hard, to put it bluntly. It doesn't keep me from having sex, but it is annoying, considering I'm 19. So, this is what I'd like to ask:

• Has anyone here tried this treatment? Did they have similar problems?
    • Do you know if those effects tend to go away if I continue the treatment?
    • Do you think it might be worth stopping the treatment and later trying to treat hair loss by making transplants?
    • Is there any way to ascertain that my problem comes from finasteride and not from psychological factors (including the expectation to suffer from side effects causing me to actually suffer from them)?
    • Some sources indicate brain fog, depression and memory loss as long term side effects. Should I worry about that?

I think that some of that is kinda technical, but I really do appreciate any help. I'm not sure when I'll be able to consult with my doctor again. I'm trying to reschedule to the beginning of April, but right now it's set to July.

Thanks!

2. KaraBulut

There's a lot of controversy about the side effects of finasteride, its pricing and the dosing.

This is part of the controversy. Originally finasteride was marketed for prostate enlargement at a higher dosage. This was an alternative to surgery that often caused incontinence or impotence as a side effect.

Then someone noticed that the drug also seemed to slow hair loss.

The manufacturer started marketing the drug in 1mg per day dosing for cosmetic purposes. And the pricing of the drug wasn't in proportion to the dose or the fact that the drug had been on the market previously for non-cosmetic purposes.

There's some evidence that the drug's interference with DHT does cause impotence. There's also some evidence in European studies that show that the impotence may persist after the drug has been discontinued.

You're at a point where you're experiencing enough side effects that you should discuss them with the doctor that prescribed the medication.

You might ask him about the studies showing that the anti-hairloss effects might be possible at a lower dosage. You might see if he would be willing to let you try a lower dosage. If the side effects persist, then you should discuss stopping the drug with your physician.

#2 KaraBulut, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  3. Bowie

In case I don't manage to reschedule with my doctor, do you think that lowering the dosage myself (taking it every other day, for example) for a few months could cause any problems?

4. KaraBulut

I don't recommend changing dosing without discussing it with your physician first. If you can't get an appointment, you always have the option of having a phone call with the doctor (or the nurse) to let them know you having side effects. Often these things can be handled over the phone and don't require an office visit.

5. Bowie

Just an update in case someone looks for this later: I've talked to my doctor and he recommended interrupting the treatment until our next appointment. Two days later, the side effects barely noticeable.

6. KaraBulut

Excellent! Thanks for updating the thread.