1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegetarian

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Lemony Lime, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Lemony Lime

I'm really wanting to be a vegetarian, but like 90% of my diet is made up of meat, and the more I eat of it, the more disgusting it gets. I can't stand the idea of eating another living creature, yet I've been doing it my whole life. The main problem I'm having though, is that I absolutely despise the taste of both beans, and mushrooms (and oysters, but that's not the point. lol), which afaik are the main things vegetarians eat in place of meat.

Is there anything else meat-like that I could eat, to make sure I get enough protein and stuff?

I don't have a problem with eating dairy products, as long as the cow isn't killed to make them, or eggs I guess, because they're not actually capable of hatching to begin with. So, maybe I'd be okay? I really don't know anything about it honestly.

I know this has nothing to do with being LGBT, but this is the only site that I already frequent that deals with health issues. Hopefully there are actually some vegetarians here though. lol

#1 Lemony Lime, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. secretguyX

Hmm.. well I'm planning on becoming a vegetarian (well really a pescatarion) sometime soon too. And I hate beans, mushrooms, and rarely eat fish. But I didn't think of replacing anything for a source of protein. I guess I'll be watching for an answer too lol...

3. Kohut

Kohut Guest

I am a vegetarian for 5 years and I'm sure I'd survive without beans and mushrooms (but hell no, I love mushrooms! :lol:slight_smile:. Have you tried tofu, seitan and soya? (Oops, do you know what these are?) I'm here to help, if there's something you don't know. :slight_smile:

4. Lemony Lime

Yeah, the only one of those I've heard of is tofu, which I've never tried. I hear that it doesn't really actually taste like anything though, so maybe it'd be okay in like a stir fry or something.

5. Kohut

Kohut Guest

Yes, don't try eating tofu without cooking it properly. Some people say they don't like vegetarian food because they don't know how to cook it. You have to give it some flavour, when you're cooking it. You could fry it of cook it with various spices like curry, for example. Here you can find some recipes with tofu: Healthy Tofu Recipes and Cooking Tips | Eating Well. You also have more information about tofu here: Cook Tofu.

6. mischa91

HI, I've been vegan for 6 years and i love mushroom and beans but there are other things out there that you could try.

Like kohut said there's tofu, seitan and soy (soya); i tend to try and stay away from soy products because i'm sure i'm mildly intolerant, i love tofu scramble though. mmm! I think you should maybe go to your local library or bookstore and get a really simple vegetarian cook book. Try out a new recipe say every day or every week. Even if you're not sure you'll like what you make i suggest just trying it. There are some things i don't like after i've made them but i'm willing to try.

You also need to consider taking a multi vitamin, vegetarians tend to be short in b12 since most people get it from meat, also make sure you get iron rich foods like kale.

Instead of doing a complete meat with drawl why don't you try to lesson the stress on your body by gradually removing meat from your diet. You said it makes up a large %, so taking it out completely very quickly might make you feel ill.

Hope this helps.

7. Kohut

Kohut Guest

mischa mentioned something very important: vitamin B12. Vegetarians and vegans should take B12 supplements if they can't find it elsewhere in a reasonable quantity. I highly recommend taking it, but you may also consider visiting a nutritionist (one that supports your choices and doesn't judge you, telling you that vegetarians aren't healthy, that's it's not natural, and bla bla bla...). OK, I'll open you the door to the amazing world of vegetarianism, and show you the main sources of proteins. :lol:

[​IMG]

Soya (beans, in the picture above): is a species of legume native to East Asia, widely grown for its edible bean which has numerous uses. Traditional nonfermented food uses of soybeans include soy milk, and from the latter tofu and tofu skin. Fermented foods include soy sauce, fermented bean paste, natto, and tempeh, among others. The oil is used in many industrial applications.

[​IMG]

Tofu (which is equivalent to fresh cheese, but made from soya): is a food made by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into soft white blocks. It is a component in many East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines. There are many different varieties of tofu, including fresh tofu and tofu that has been processed in some way. Tofu has a subtle flavor and can be used in savory and sweet dishes. It is often seasoned or marinated to suit the dish.

[​IMG]

Seitan (which is very similar to bread, and even its flavour is identical): is a food made from gluten, the main protein of wheat. It is made by washing wheat flour dough with water until all the starch dissolves, leaving insoluble gluten as an elastic mass which is then cooked before being eaten.

[​IMG]

Tempeh (also made from soya): is a traditional soy product originally from Indonesia. It is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form, similar to a very firm vegetarian burger patty. Tempeh is unique among major traditional soy foods in that it is the only one that did not originate in the Sinosphere.

(Thanks Wikipedia!) And don't forget that these are just examples of aliments most vegetarians eat, but there are many, many more good aliments out there to try out! :grin:

#7 Kohut, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  8. Lemony Lime

Well, when I was 14ish, I completely stopped eating all dessert, junk food, and soda overnight, and actually had no problem doing it. This might be pretty hard though, considering that I'm a very picky eater to begin with.

I'm going to do my best though.

I just told my mom, (It felt like coming out again, rofl.) and she's not happy, because they don't want to be vegetarians, and don't think I'll be able to handle it... but I'm going to try and give things up slowly, and once I move out to college, I'll try to do it 100%.

I think I'm going to end up doing a lot more cooking now though. >.>

9. colorful

I've only been a vegetarian for a couple months now and I never really researched it all that much, but I know a few things. I would definatelly agree that you should try to find a vegetarian cook book. There are so many things in there that I never even would have thought to make without it. It really just gives you a chance for some variety. The one that I have has lists of good sources of iron, protein, and other essentials.

Before I became a vegetarian I *rarely* ate mushrooms and I had never even tried beans. I find that when you mix them in with enough other stuff (peppers, onions, spinach, cheese, spices, etc.) they are just another ingredient and you can't reallly taste them. I usually through some spinach or something in with whatever I'm eating (bit of iron and protein) and I eat nuts for a snack (I like pistachios and almonds). You can eat some raisins or prunes with the nuts - they have a fairly good ammount of iron too. It is also definately a good idea to take a multivitamin and even possibly some other supplements if you are not getting enough of certain nutrients.

10. No One

First off, don't worry about what your family thinks. I told my parents I was going to be a vegetarian when I was 12, and they laughed at me and told me that it wasn't going to happen and how I needed meat, etc. Eventually, after I had been a vegetarian for about a year, they finally realized I was completely serious and that they were going to have to at least try and accommodate me.

Secondly, eating mushrooms is definitely not a requirement for a vegetarian diet. I ABSOLUTELY despise mushrooms, and I have no trouble eating. Beans, refer to all sorts of plants and usually they are only used as a base, so it's not like you are eating them by themselves all the time. I agree with the others that you should get a good vegetarian cookbook, and locate a good health-foods store nearby, or any store that has vegetarian ingredients. Being able to cook food that taste good and is appetizing is important for those who are unsure if they will be able to keep the diet.

11. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

I'm not a vegetarian, but I try to avoid eating meat whenever I can, and I'm worried about not getting enough protein. A few great sources of protien, though, are cheese, eggs, and peanut butter, which sometimes I'm guilty of eating plain with a spoon :wink:

12. IrishJ

Real quick, not a Doctor, but I do have a b-12 deficiency that I found out about through blood tests. Not all vegetarians have b-12 issues, before you start cranking piils, if you can afford it have a physical/blood work done.

As far as learning about Protein alternatives, if you have the opportunity, take a veggie cooking class. Depending on where you live there are probably cooking courses offered through health food stores in your area. There are so many great meat alternatives out there, creativity is key.

13. Aya McCabre

B12 shouldn't be a problem purely because you're vegetarian (according to the vegetarian nutrition student I live with). Vegans do need B12 though, as there is no reliable non-vegan source. The stuff I take for B12 also has iron (not going to hurt for female bodies, potentially bad for male bodies if you don't need it), folate and Vit. C.... there tends to be calcium and B12 in processed veg*n foods like soy milk, tofu and fake meats, so most people are fine for that.

14. kem

kem

I've been a vegetarian since Oct 2010.
    If you want to be vegetarian, you should try to forget your dislikes for some foods and try to cook them in different ways and see if you like them, particularly since beans and mushrooms are quite important for vegetarians. As for what you could eat instead, try tofu, it's an excellent source of protein. There's also protein in nuts and seeds, I suggest almonds since they have more protein and less fat compared to popular nuts like cashew, peanuts and walnuts, but you should definitely try different sorts to see which ones you like and which ones you don't. Dairy products and eggs also have protein, but keep in mind that they are animal products...

Unless you're a super strict vegan and don't find it ethical to eat organic chicken eggs a couple of times a month in order to get enough B12, you shouldn't need to take any pills in my opinion.

15. Aya McCabre

When did not eating eggs become super-strict? I know definitions are different overseas (hence the HUGE number of companies that advertise stuff as vegetarian when it's full of fish) but I've never met a vegan who ate eggs other than from their own hens. Companies are just too good at mislabeling things... out local "free range" producer also has battery eggs and they all get mixed into the same boxes....

16. thereshewas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LENTILS!!!

Seriously, though, you should try making daal. It is delicious and a good source of protein. I would recommend Daal Saag, which is basically lentils, spinach, and a ton of yummy spices; that way you get some good protein AND some good iron (I had issues with my iron after I stopped eating meat on a regular basis). Don't let a dislike of of beans and mushrooms scare you off! Just take it slow and try out some of the suggestions above :slight_smile:

17. PianoNate

My first vegetarian day will be Mar 2nd! wish me luck!!

and if you're into cooking, but was wondering how to cook without fats, check out the MacDougal quick cooking recipes book ... fantastic source! It has really alleviated a lot of my worries.

18. maverick

Vegetarian Ground Meat-Smart Grounds Original|Lightlife

^ If you season this stuff like you would ground beef, it is quite excellent. Several grocery stores carry it now (in my town, both Kroger's and Publix has it). I especially like it in tacos, spaghetti, and casseroles.

Tofu is also good when cooked properly and adequately seasoned. Otherwise, it tastes like absolutely nothing.

19. cheese

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    TEMPEH! :grin:
    i recommend to deep fry them. oh! they taste really good!
    but i don't know if tempeh outside of indonesia still taste the same, because i heard they have different method in making them... but, why don't you try them first and tell me how is it? :grin:

20. DapperDan

DapperDan Guest

Was vegetarian for a little over a year and became vegan this year; I agree with the people above!

I initially hated tofu at first because the only experience I had with it at the time had been this gelatinous, bland mess. However, it really makes a difference in how you cook and flavor it. You can get tofu in varying degrees of firmness as well. For example, sometimes I'll take extra firm tofu, cut it into small blocks, and fry it in olive or coconut oil, and it comes out similar to scrambled eggs.

Nuts are also a pretty good source of protein, along with seeds, legumes, etc. While meat may be a staple in the American diet, it's only one tiny piece of the picture, and there's a whole world of food out there that you may not have even thought about!

Another good idea is to get a good multivitamin to help make up for the things you might be missing. There are also plenty of vegetarian/vegan protein and nutritional shake mixes out there that you can mix with fruit and such as a quick way to get the protein you need.

Where I might be able to help is to point out some of my favorite places to get vegetarian/vegan stuff, and some examples:

Trader Joe's
    If you have one anywhere near you, go check it out! They have a wide variety of things you can eat as a veg, and many if not most of them are labeled as such. It's also on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Some random favorites: vegetable masala burgers, Mediterranean hummus, extra-firm tofu, Tuscan pane bread, vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (if you can find them, consider yourself very lucky!), longboard tortilla chips, everything bagels

Whole Foods
    Aka, "whole paycheck". In my opinion, Whole Foods is like a sort of specialty store. Whatever I want and can't find at Trader Joe's or another grocery store, chances are they have it, but typically at a higher price. They have an unbeatable selection, great quality stuff, and very helpful employees if you talk to them.

Favorites: 365 fruit & nut granola, coconut milk, Daiya dairy-free shredded mozzarella cheese, whole wheat alphabet veggie soup (in the bulk food section), Amy's frozen meals (so many choices there and very very tasty), vegan pancake/waffle mix

Overall, I noticed when I stopped eating meat, after a few weeks I didn't crave it at all anymore, and I felt much better (more energy, didn't feel so "weighed down"). I say don't be afraid to give it a try- you never know! :slight_smile: