1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RSI? Attention: All musicians

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Carpe Diem, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not sure if the lump on my hand is a repetitive strain injury (RSI) but here goes anyways:

I recently noticed that there is a bulge on both my hands at the encircled part shown in the picture (fyi, that's not my hand and there is no lump in this pic).

[​IMG]

I've recently reconnected with my 'inner' musician (lol) and have been practising the piano in public (after abandoning it for 10 years) until I developed carpal tunnel syndrome (which is an RSI) two weeks ago. It gradually healed itself after a week. Last week, I noticed two bulges appeared on my hand as mentioned earlier.

The lump is kinda hard (like a tense muscle). It doesn't hurt at all. So I think that rules out tendonitis. I'm not sure if it is ganglion cyst (heck, I don't really know what it is in the first place).

So, here is my question to all pianists (and even to those who don't play the piano):
    1. Do you have a lump at the same spot?
    2. Do you know what it is?
    3. Do you think this warrants a visit to the doctor?

Cheerio.

2. Fisnou

Hi fellow musician (!) I play piano regularly myself but I've never had lumps like that... if I were you, I would go see a doctor, as it could get worse.

3. PianoNate

I also am a pianist that returned to the instrument after years away from the keyboard, and I have dealt with several issues as well. First of all though, you say there isn't any pain in that lump when you press on it? It may just be a goiter that means nothing at all. A friend of mine, who doesn't play the piano, has one in that exact spot that doctors say are just a quirk and not to worry.

Be thankful you haven't torn your rotator cuff practicing Liszt like I did ... I thought I was having a heart attack!! Went rushing to the ER and the doctor just treated me like the moron I am! lol

4. ameliawesome

i never developed a lump from playing piano, but it doesn't seem surprising that anyone could. if it doesn't hurt then it's probably nothing to worry about. if it's still there the next time you're at a doctor's office then ask the dr to look at it.