1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The mental impacts of HRT

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fugs, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not long after I accepted that I was transgender I started looking up everything I could about it. Surgeries, hormones, clothing, whatever. I even try to go further than the physical observations and have been striving to learn everything I can about it so that I'm completely prepared. Currently I've been looking into the cognitive mental impacts of hormone replacement therapy and have a few questions if anyone knows how to answer them.

Estrogen shows effectiveness in the rejuvenation of neural cells in the brain. Men naturally synthesize this from testosterone, but in a female transgendered person is it possible that HRT can improve brain function by not only strengthening the neural cells but reducing further damage to the cell structure and inhibiting the retraction of the cell's stimulus ends?

In transgender men what effect does testosterone have on the brain in relation to neural cell growth, development, protection, and cell death? If estrogen is synthesized from testosterone naturally in men can a transgender male benefit equally from testosterone injections as a transgender female would estrogen? If so would there be a noticeable difference between neural cell growth before and after the injections? To what extent would there be of change and would it effect a person's cognitive thought to the point of the effected person being conscious of the change?

Are transgender men at a disadvantage to transgender women due to how hormones work? Due to testosterone needing to be synthesized into estrogen is the pseudo-estrogen less effective than naturally produced estrogen at stimulating neural cells? Does the brain only synthesize a preset amount of estrogen from testosterone based on how much it needs at the time?

Once transgender men go on hormone blockers will the brain be able to take over estrogen generation or will it lead to post-menopausal levels of cognitive degeneration due to how estrogen enables the neural cells to grow and thrive?

I might be misunderstanding how hormones affect the brain and if so I apologize.

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the only thing i can mention is what we queens call "moanin" cause its really messes with your emotional stability, for example
    wheres tyra?
    oh girl, don't find that child, shes moaning, better look out
    hormones turn some very nice individuals into ticking time bombs, and some people think it causes them to sweat excessively, but that depends on the route you go and which ones you use as well.