1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protein in urine?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TriCube, Mar 1, 2012.

1. TriCube

I've searched a bit online, but haven't found a definite answer and I'm not sure if it's serious.

Last semester I went to the hospital for a ultrasound of my testicles because I had some issues down there. While at the health clinic getting checked out, they found some other stuff wrong.

I had a blood pressure check that showed I was on the verge of hypertension and had blood work taken and a urinalysis, which came back with surprising results. The found traces of protein in my urine, and scheduled two more visits for a urinalysis, and 3 more for blood pressure checks. While my blood pressure came down, the amount of protein in my urine was still present. The nurse didn't say anything about what it might mean. I figured it was just because I had been stressed out due to multiple school projects piling up on each other, too much coffee, not getting regular sleep, and missing meals.

They had check ups once every two weeks, the last one was in mid Dec. What is worrying me now, is that I don't have access to the health clinic this semester since I am abroad, and have been noticing that my urine has a very odd smell to it and it really yellow, sometimes cloudy. I don't know what that means, but I'm concerned that it might be getting worse. The weird thing is, I'm drinking water now more than ever. About 2 liters a day. And I'm eating healthier than last semester too.

I didn't tell my parents about any of this: going to the hospital for my issue, having high blood pressure, etc. I did tell a few friends, though.

I'm not really sure on what I should do, or if this is even related at all to the protein they found in my urine last semester. However, I'm afraid it might be something serious since the smell/color isn't going away, but that might just be me automatically thinking the worst, like I sometimes do.

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

2. heyyy.
    if i read correctly you said you missed meals, this may be the cause.

it might not be but i was anorexic for 2 years and had protein in my urine, and i had to start eating right... i kept getting checked every few months but now im fine.... you said it smells, maybe it could be a uti? idk.
    but dont drink more than 2 litres cuz thats bad for you and flushes out electrolytes in your body and thats bad!

i dont really have any advice... but hope it clears up soon! (*hug*)

3. Kyubi

i agree, it could be because of too much H2O intake. Just stick to 2litres a day and you should be finer. Also, proteins in your urine isn't uncommon that's probably why the nurse didn't mention anything. The proteins are mostly haemoglobin, which makes sense since urine is made when blood is cleaned. It's a long story so not gonna do a lecture though lol. Don't look into what we say too much either, stick to professional advice.

---------- Post added 1st Mar 2012 at 10:19 PM ----------

and also, the color of urine is mostly determined by excess minerals in the bloodstream, so the reason for darkening urine could be because you're eating healthier. Don't know bout the smell though. And urine color and proteins concentration could also be linked with hypertension, so just keep that under check.

4. Merlot

mmmm dark smelly urine

5. TriCube

When I "missed meals" it was because I was in studio or class all day - my lunch could consist of a cup of coffee and some gobstoppers. Basically I just ate/drank enough to fill what little appetite I had. Most of the time I just felt nauseous.

It's recommended to drink 2L of water a day, if I remember correctly. Which isn't hard to do. I almost always have my water bottle with me and only usually refill it 2-3 times a day.

And that's the thing, it's not going away. I've been noticing it for months now, but it's starting to be more significant.

I was under the impression that the more water you drink the lighter the color. I guess that makes sense that it could be caused from eating healthier. The smell is what really bothers me, as it's a pretty distinct smell. If I had to describe it, id' say like tuna.

Thanks for the replies and thoughts on this. :slight_smile:

6. mischa91

You mentioned being abroad, i'm assuming that you're doing a semester abroad as opposed to just being on vacation? If so do you go into a school to study or is it some other type of program?

Did you get any kind of insurance before you went?

I say if it's really bothering you go to a hospital/drs office and see if they'll check you out.

7. KaraBulut

You need to make an appointment with your personal physician for more testing.

The two signs that you've mentioned- proteinuria (also known as albuminuria) and high blood pressure are usually connected with kidney problems. It's a bit of a chicken-egg scenario because high blood pressure can cause kidney dysfunction and kidney dysfunction can cause high blood pressure.

It's not clear what the strategy at the clinic was. There are periods where temporary conditions can cause protein in the urine and there are temporary conditions that can cause high blood pressure. But if you've had proteinuria on two separate occasions even after your blood pressure came down, you should be referred to a physician for further testing.

8. TriCube

@mischa91: I am abroad for school, but will be home for the summer. I am wondering if it is something that can wait until I get back and am more familiar and comfortable with my home country's health system.

@KaraBulut: I remember reading somewhere that it might be linked to kidney problems. I've sort of had a problem with high blood pressure the past two years, so I'd assume that's the causing factor. I have two more months before I can go back to my health clinic that took the original tests. Or if it's urgent I could try to find a place here.

Thanks for the help!

9. KaraBulut

The problem is that high blood pressure (hypertension) is also symptom of kidney disease.

What I would suggest is that you find an excuse to see a physician, mention that you've had proteinuria recently and have them draw blood for basic chemistries. In particular, you should have a BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and serum creatinine (commonly called BUN/Cr) done.

If your BUN/Cr are normal, then this points toward high blood pressure as the cause, not the symptom.