1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obsessive about spelling....

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Trixxster, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Trixxster

Okay, I'm crazy obsessive about spelling. If something is spelled wrong I have a hard time not pointing it out (I even corrected a teacher once (rude I know)) and I have this unsettled feeling until it's fixed. I just don't feel 'right' or 'complete' unless it gets fixed. I usually don't point it out unless I the person I'm correcting won't care. If something is spelled wrong on a worksheet I have to fix it or I won't be able to concentrate.

What I'm asking is, is this a sign that I may have some obsessive disorder? I can be quite obsessive about other things, too. For instance at my work place I 'have' to fix the cash register and feel 'not right' if the coins aren't in the proper slot. It hasn't started negatively affecting my life at all, I'm just wondering why I'm this obsessive.

2. Starshine16

I already do have a mild case of OCD,but I have been obsessive about spelling since I was about 10 years old. To this day it drives me absolutely insane if I see something that I know for sure is spelled wrong. I have to correct it even if it's someone else who has made the error.

3. Cascade

I'm the same way with spelling. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are losing sleep over a word that isn't spelled correctly on the blackboard.

As for the coin stuff, I wouldn't worry about that either. Humans need order in their lives, we can't function in chaos. Everyone has little things that they do to organize their world. At work I also rearrange things the way I like them, it's not obsessive, I just find it much more efficient.

4. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This reason is why I hate social media websites. I will even use a different word if I can't spell the one I want to use.

5. KaraBulut

It's probably better described as obsessive perfectionism. OCD is far more extreme and there's not a practical reason why the obsessive behavior must occur.

For example, if it bugs you that people misspell words and you must correct them, then that's perfectionism. If you have to make sure that every sentence starts with a vowel and ends with a consonant, that's obsessive-compulsive behavior.

6. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    dere's noding wrng wth u! dnt wrry!

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd suggest leaving some worlds incorrectly spelled and then just suffer through it. Eventually I'd expect you to get over it.

8. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I would say medically, there's nothing wrong with you.
    Just because you have a weird thing about you, doesn't mean you have to define it as a disorder. Embrace it and be a GAGA!
    I say you do what you do because you are trying to control the way other people talk to you. Accept whatever everybody says to you in whatever manner it be!
    So, STPO IT! (See, what I did there?!)
    I DARE YOU TO CORRECT ME!

9. LdSlnce

LdSlnce Guest

I wouldn't say OCD, I'd just say that there are just things that you 'have' to have a certain way. I say that because that's how I am. Spelling, some things being placed in a certain place, a card deck being straight... Other than those few things (maybe a little more), I couldn't care less how it is! Messy room? I'll get to it...eventually.

It's probably you're just 'obsessed' with certain things. I don't know if that's how you are with everything, and I'm not a doctor.

10. Sayu

I suffer from OCD and this might be a sign of it :frowning2:

11. Trixxster

Thanks for all the advice!

12. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think it is OCD. Your case isn't extreme enough. You sound like a perfectionist to me.

However, none of us can actually diagnose you. If you are really curious, you have to be properly diagnosed by a psychiatrist. Don't rely on questionnaires on websites to diagnose yourself.

If it really hasn't gotten in your way, then just ignore it. You should still try to keep the spelling correction to yourself. Some people may be offended by it.

13. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lol, so funy. Laik he sed, u r ok. Your normal. I olso obsess wit good speling.