1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleep troubles?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by girlboyari, Mar 9, 2012.

1. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

I've been having trouble sleeping lately. It's been taking at least a half hour to an hour for me to fall asleep, but then almost every night I've been waking up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. I'm not under any serious stress, and even on nights when I'm completely relaxed and stress free, I'll find myself waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning. Sometimes I even wake up twice. Should I be concerned about this?

2. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

Someone please help?

3. EmmettBlack

I don't think there is anything seriously wrong going on with your sleep patterns, it's a common issue most people have; my body clock is just naturally like that, I wake up at random intervals around 3am too. One thing that I've found helps a lot, and this might sound lame, is lavender tea - it's a natural remedy that sends most people straight to sleep or helps regulate their sleep patterns.

Do you go to sleep roughly the same time every night? I know if I'm not asleep by 10:30 at night I wake up in the night more often

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2012 at 11:34 AM ----------

There's a herb called Damiana (spelling ?) that is a relaxant and helps with sleep also - you can by the leaves at most health stores or online and make tea out of it (some people smoke it for a faster result but I wouldn't recommend that)

4. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

I'm usually asleep by 11 or 11:30 every night, but the times I wake up are always changing. I'll try the tea, I hope it helps. Thanks :slight_smile:

5. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My question! Are you tired in the morning when you wake up or just frustrated that you can't fall asleep when you want to?

Either way, the first thing in correcting disturbed sleep is having good "sleep hygiene." Some things to make sure you're doing include the following:
    1). Go to bed at the same time, and wake up at the same time every day of the week
    2). No caffeine or alcohol a couple hours before bed
    3). Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
    4). Use your bed ONLY for sleeping (no TV, reading, chatting on the phone, etc.)
    5). Block out distracting noises and lights
    6). Have a light snack before bed (warm milk, or foods high in tryptophan like a banana)
    7). Don't bring your stress to bed - ie. don't go straight from homework or studying to bed.

#5 Ryesright, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

I'm both tired and frustrated, and I can't necessarily wake up at the same time every day, considering I have to get up for school at 6 in the morning and would rather sleep in on weekends...

7. TraceElement

I don't think it should be a big deal for the average person. I suggest you try the tea and the ideas that Ryesright laid out. I would also suggest that you try and turn off your laptop, cell phone, tv, and all other electronics at least 30 minutes before bed. The lights emitted can stimulate the brain. Try playing soothing music or sounds while falling asleep... I have a player that has options to play the ocean, streams, waterfalls, and white noise.

My only concern is what I have experienced with sleep issues related to mental health issues. From this post, you don't mention any symptoms of having depression, anxiety, OCD or ADD/ADHD, which all can potentially interfere with sleep. If you have any of these, let me know. I have some other suggestions that will help.

8. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

I listen to the radio to help me fall asleep, at a very low volume. Also, I can hear cars going by on the highway at night and I find that to be very relaxing. Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: