1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoga

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Marlowe, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Marlowe

I have recently come to the most unhappy conclusion that my schedule and proximity or lack thereof to a gym simply does not permit me to work out, so I have decided to develop a work out routine at my house. I do normal stuff like squats and crunches and I bike ride when I can, but I have also gotten interested in yoga because one of the areas I struggle with is flexibility. I have had trouble finding a routine because there are so many options and so many terrible youtube videos. I have a book that has a ton of poses, but I have yet to fine one that has an actual routine.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend either a book or even a routine that I might be able to try out considering that I terrible inflexible (I can't sit cross legged). Thanks!

2. aerwolfen

Hi Marlowe,flexibility is my issue,and I use yoga to help with that,especially with my age,and I do it in the privacy of my own home (nothing on ) lol,but my point is I use the wii,and that board you stand on,they have alot of poses,you pick the ones that suit your needs the best and collect them as your favorite ones,I have a full half hour session,with the person on the screen showing you how to do them and when to stop,its really great.just a suggestion.

3. castle walls

I've been in yoga classes for 8 months now. There is one Yoga book that I love. It has full page pictures and some diagrams that details how the position is done and there is text that explains how the position is done and the benefits. I should be getting my book back in a few days. Let me know if you want me to tell you the title and author when I get it back.

For now, I'd recommend Sun Salutations, Tree, and Warrior poses. You don't have to cross your legs for any of those positions. You can google these poses and they do not require any extra equipment

4. ameliawesome

well, before you take any advice from anyone on the internet you need to be sure you factor in any known health problems. it'd be easy for an experienced yogi to tell you to do such-and-such poses, but if you know you have bad knees or a bad back then you certainly should not be doing certain things. if you have no major health issues, particularly those that affect your joints or any past injuries, you can practice:
    hip openers - turtle pose, frog pose, pigeon pose, any warrior pose, triangle pose
    back work - bridge pose, chair pose with prayer twist, flowing cat/cow, camel pose, regular standing back bends (as well as forward & side bends), baby cobra (graduates into full cobra)
    arm work - reverse prayer, binding poses, that thing where one elbow is up and the other is down and you try to touch your hands behind your back (sorry i do not know the name of that)
    there's a bunch of stuff off the top of my head, but if you want anything more specific you can let me know via comment or message. i've been doing yoga for about 3 years and i highly recommend it to everybody.

also, as long as you do not have an injury that prevents it, don't stop trying to sit cross-legged. make an attempt at least once a day. one of these days you will surprise yourself.