1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate being touched, But recently...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mimerio, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mimerio

I have wanted to be touched, I've never had proper intimate touching before, I get provoked when when people offer to high 5, but I would like to be touched one day (both sexually, and around friends etc)

Can someone explain this?

2. Nero

The fear of being touched (also known as aphephobia) Sometimes the fear is restricted specifically, or predominantly, to being touched by people of the opposite sex

enough of wikipedia aphephobia is a fear correct? and if it is a fear it must root from some experiences from your life in an instance were you recived unwanted contact.

usually what people do to overcome this fear is go to a theropist in order to settle the termoil within said persons life hold strong you'll get there one day

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How about with family members? Hugs and such? What are your reactions to that?

4. Marlowe

I used to have this sort of problem to a lesser extent, and it was largely because I felt that various types of physical contact has all sorts of meaning and I didn't want to give people the wrong idea or more importantly for them to get the wrong idea from me. But, if it is a fear on the level of physical touch that has well established meaning (or lack there of) in terms of high fives or hand shakes, I would say this is something that you probably should see a counselor about.

I don't know how the system works in England, but if you are in school, the school counselor is a good place to start and American uiversities often have free counseling services. This was really helpful for me. I know it can be a but intimidating to do this, but it was really helpful. If you have any questions about going to counseling, I would be happy to share my experience.

I don't really know about where you are with your issue, but I found that it took a lot of strength and self reflection and counseling to take the first steps toward being physically close to other people, not intimate just literally touching or being in close proximity, but once I got that far, I found that it was a lot easier to continue further, and finally achieve the level of comfortableness with physical contact that I had always wanted.

5. Mimerio

I hug my family very often, they are the only people who I let touch me, other people have to ask..

6. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i had a similar thing to this when i was in highschool...it went away when i opened up to people more in college. there are still some people who make me cringe when they come within a few feet of me. oddly enough I had two very specific actions that i never let anyone do in the past. (I would nearly attack people when they tried them.) and that was putting their hands in my hair and slapping my butt. oddly enough i never care anymore aside from those few people who i don't even want to be near.

7. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I too have an EXTREME aversion to being touched, stemming from my anxiety (which is really bad lately) to the point where my own parents can't touch me. Only my girlfriend is exempt most of the time, her touch usually calms me down. Sometimes its so bad that even she can't get near me though. Even physical proximity makes me shut down and terrifies me.

However, I want to be more open to people. Only my problem is that I'm more scared of people than I am of overcoming that fear. So I can't help you- but I can sympathise.

8. adam88

I used to, and know how you feel, except in my case it's more of a sensitivity, rather than a fear. Like Marlowe it stemmed from not wanting to give the wrong idea, especially to people I liked. A friend of mine is the same way - the only people he lets touch him are people he's dating.

So it's not uncommon, and I can promise you that if you work on yourself (through therapy, or self-will, or however you need to do it) you will get better, and that it's worth it. :slight_smile:

#8 adam88, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012