1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Withdrawal symptoms? :\

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by justinf, Mar 19, 2012.

1. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. I just need a little help deciding what's going on here.

My doctor told me a week ago I had to stop taking the painkillers I regularly use (visited him because of my heart >> previous thread). The problem is I'm finding that really difficult :s I'm deathly afraid I might be experiencing withdrawal symptoms.
    I'm not sure what I feel... I guess it's sort of a really uneasy feeling, like I feel my whole body, aching, like I have to move. And I'm shaking a bit. I also vomitted a couple of times.

Now I don't know if I'm just confusing this with normal anxiety over some other stuff that's been going on, but it feels kinda different. Does this sound like withdrawal symptoms to you? :s Or am I just overanalyzing? My doctor said that I wouldn't experience any symptoms and I could just stop the tablets right away, but the truth is I lied to him about how often I use them. I was just kindof embarrassed for being so naive.

Just need to know if I'm wrong here, I really really hope so. Don't know what to do if I'm not, though :frowning2:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may very well be right, these could be withdrawal symptoms. For further reference, not telling your doctor the truth about something will only ever get you in trouble - be as honest as you possibly can. I don't know how it works in the Netherlands, but in the States at least, you can tell doctors anything you've taken, even if it's illegal, and they won't report you - they just need to know how to treat you.

Anyways, the upside is that you can experience "withdrawal" symptoms from a lot of things. I experienced a minor case of it when I stopped drinking anything with caffeine cold turkey (I'd been up to at least three cups of coffee a day, plus other stuff). You can experience it if you stop smoking suddenly, or stop drinking suddenly. Essentially, your body is just reacting to a sudden change in chemistry. In most cases, this will last a short while (mine was 2-3 days) and then you'll be back to normal. It can be agonizing in the meantime though.

My advice is, unless you're feeling better very soon, to call your doctor and tell them the real deal about how often you were taking your medication. They may be able to prescribe something to take the edge off the withdrawal, or they will at least be able to tell you that you'll be fine, other than feeling miserable for the next few days, so you won't have anything to worry about.

Good luck, feel better, and be honest to your doctor. (*hug*)

3. KaraBulut

What was the name of the medication?

4. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hope no one's gonna judge me for this... Oxycodone. Don't know about the brand, because obviously they're not over-the-counter, so I bought them from someone (a friend that I trust).

@Gravity Thanks for your reply. I know I should've told my doctor, but I knew what I was doing was wrong and I'm just normally not that kinda person, so I was ashamed.
    I'm really glad you think it's nothing serious, I hope you're right. 2-3 days eh... I only last 2, so I'll try and make that 3, maybe that exta day will do the trick.
    And yeah I think I'll call my doctor if things don't get better.

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I mean, it *probably* isn't serious, but without more information I can't say for sure. Don't mean to be scary, but I don't want to give the impression that it's a sure thing. If it's oxycodone, though, I'd call sooner rather than later - that *can* be dangerous if taken outside of prescribed doses. Was it at least prescribed to you, or did you just buy it from a friend?

I'm going to shake my finger at you out of a sense of obligation, but no, no judgment. I wouldn't buy oxycodone off of anyone in the future though. Listen to your doctor and if what they're giving you isn't enough, let them know. They'll help you out. :slight_smile:

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know, and I'll definitely call him if it gets worse or doesn't go away.
    No it wasn't prescribed to me. I just wanted something better than paracetamol or ibuprofen, or any of that normal stuff, because that just didn't work. So I searched for alternatives, and a friend of mine happened to have this stuff.

7. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tsk tsk. Tell your doctor next time - if what they give you isn't working, they'll prescribe something else. It's possible the oxycodone had an interaction with something else you were taking, or an unintended side effect with whatever was the issue in the first place. All painkillers are not the same.

In any case, what's done is done. Good luck, and I hope it clears up soon, one way or the other! :slight_smile:

8. TruffleDude

I am not a dr. so take this as what it is, some person you don't know writing on a board for gay people.

I had close friends go through serious opiate addictions when I was younger. I watched it escalate to harder and harder opiates over the course of a year or so, and then after I parted ways with them, heard how quickly their lives went down hill. I did a lot of research on this topic in college as well.

Please look carefully at the dosages that you were taking, the frequency, and the types of compounds in the specific pills. The major concern here is if you were taking pills with a mixture of paracetomol/oxycodone, ibuprofen/oxycodone, or salicylic acid/oxycodone you may have done damage to your liver or the lining of your stomach. This would be the case if you took multiple pills multiple times a day. Again, it is not the oxycodone that you need to be concerned with, as far as longer term organ damage, but the other compounds in the pills. When you find out what else (if anything) was in the pills, look at how much of that you were taking a day, and look up the maximum safe dosage. If you were ever above this, look into what it can cause, and consider going to a dr if it sounds bad.

Best of luck to you. One friend got completely clean. He said the worst was the insomnia and night-sweats, but even worse was the worry that "the worst was yet to come". However, this "worst" never came for him, it was all built up in his head. As far as I know WD from opiates is not deadly like with alcohol or benzodiazapines, especially if you are not a long time high dose user. If you have a seizure disorder this could make things a lot worse.

Withdrawal (WD) from lower doses can be felt, but is often not too bad. Something like a flu for a week. Getting easier after 3 or 4 days. When pain management clinics take people off opiates they try using something like 0.25 to 0.5 the dosage used (unless that means taking an unsafe level of some other chemical in the pills) for a week or so, and then cutting the dose again for a week, until they are down to nothing.

Over counter medicine like Loperimide helps with diarrhea, meclazine helps with nausea, and diphenhydramine helps with insomnia and nausea. These are not euphoriants, and need to be used according to the labels on the bottles.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Justin,

Good on you for owning up to the situation.

Oxycodone abuse/addiction is, at least in the US, one of the biggest addiction problems in the country today. Many people don't realize that oxycodone is a semisynthetic opiate that is chemically (and in action and effect) very similar to diacetylmorphine, better known as heroin. And I bet if you'd known that you were taking something very similar to heroin, you never would have started. :slight_smile:

So yes, what you're feeling sounds like opiate withdrawal (KB can offer more precise information).

The good news is, as Gravity said, the physical withdrawal period is relatively short. The trick is going to be staying completely off of it; you're clearly already in a dangerous position of risk for serious addiction due to having developed dependence, and the most common problem is that after someone withdraws, they still have a psychological desire to do more of it, and convince themselves that they'll "just do a little bit" or "just do it this once"... which never, ever works.

If it makes you feel better, a lot of people who would never have done such a thing have found themselves becoming dependent as a result of having to use oxy or vicodin for injuries or back pain. The majority of those are able to come off of the drug without a problem and never go back to it, so as long as you're cautious, you shouldn't have to worry.

If you do find yourself craving it after you are done with the withdrawal symptoms, talk to us. The important thing is to be honest with yourself and with us, as that will hold you accountable and help you "over the hump."

10. KaraBulut

The symptoms that you are describing are common with opiate withdrawal. Give your physician a call because there are some medications that he can prescribe that will help with the withdrawal symptoms.

You do need to be honest about how much oxycodone you were taking. Depending on how much physical dependence you have on the drug, he may want to make sure that you're monitored closely while you detox.