1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STD check up

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Micah, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Micah

Curious - but can you just go to a GP for a sexual health check up or do you need to visit a family clinic? I've been meaning to just get regular tests but have been a bit slack.

:slight_smile:

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In the UK you can go to a GP for that. However I think many people prefer to go to a clinic because it's anonymous and because the info won't appear on your medical records.

Many life insurance policies ask if you have had an HIV test even if the result is negative, and also often want to get a report from your doctor. They can penalise you if they think you are a higher than average risk. So having this stuff nowhere near your medical records can be useful! :slight_smile:

Ask at your doctor's, but I'm sure it will be OK. If you don't want the receptionist to know it's you (doctors' receptionists always seem to want to know too much...) just phone and ask the question without giving your name, and say "thank you" and hang up when you get the answer. Then call back later in the day to make an appointment, without telling them what it's for. :wink:

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would it be legal in the UK if you were HIV- but had had an HIV test to charge more or penalise someone?! I'm not sure but I think in Canada that would be highly illegal.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well the situation has improved in the UK recently with new regulations that limit the info life insurance companies can ask for and how they can alter your cover because of it. However the insurance companies are quite devious and can find other excuses to raise premiums or reduce cover.