1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay doctors on monday/wensday

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ty, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

So while im at the doctors im gonna ask about hep b immunization. But hep B shots are usually for gay people right? Would my doctor say something like "Oh, usually its just gay people who get this shot" to which i would go bright red and my mum would just stare at me... I could see something like that happening >.>
    I just wanna know if thats possible before i ask, cause i may not even do it now... bleh

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hep B shots are not just for gay people. However the fact that you are asking could suggest that you are sexually active or intend to become sexually active. Sex is probably the most likely way of contracting Hep B, though I am no expert on that.

The doctor would not say that gay people have Hep B shots, but he probably would ask why you think you need them, which would be just as embarrassing in front of your mum (unless you have a convincing reason and your mum already knows that and accepts it).

If I was you I would use this doctor's visit just to clear up the current illness etc, and don't mention Hep B at all.

Then once you are feeling better make yourself an appointment with the doctor and go on your own to discuss Hep B. Or go along to the local GUM clinic or Gay Men's Health Project session or whatever they call it in your area, where you can get your Hep B jabs anonymously.

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much the most common way, by far, from what I understand. At least in the "developed" world.

Actually I could definitely see a clueless doctor saying that. Doctors are human too, you know, with all the blinders and prejudices that the rest of humanity exhibits.

Hopefully any doctor worth their salt would not at all say that, but there exists that possibility.

Yeah, just go to a free clinic or what Paul says... I'm not exactly sure how it works in the UK but you (and me in Canada) probably have it a lot easier than our poor American bretheren. Here you could just go to the Gay & Lesbian Centre and there's a health clinic they run out of it certain days of the week.

If you are gonna be sexually active as a gay guy or a bi guy, then it's totally the responsible thing to do. It's great that you're aware enough to know about Hep B... tell all your gay friends (if you have them). The amount of sexual health ignorance out there is stunning.

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Thanks Joey and Paul =] I guess i'll just google up for some place for the me to get the shots ~ You never know when something might happen....

Luckily getting Hep A shot was so much easier, its compolsory for going to south africa so that was a good excuse and my doctor reccomneded getting the boosters for it as it would obviously be an advantage.

^_^

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

6. Ty

Ty Guest

Ahhh yay thanks for the link paul :grin:

7. TonyHeem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should be aware that vaccination for Hepatitis B is not a one-step process. You'll need to get three separate shots over the period of about half a year.

As far as your doctor making an offhanded comment about Hep B "being for gay people", I would hope that any medical professional, with decent training, would know better (unfortunately, they don't always). Where I'm from, we learned it as the A,B,Cs:

Hep A - Anal (think water contaminated with feces)
    Hep B - Body Fluids (usually sex)
    Hep C - Cookers (a tool used by IV drug users)

These sites might be useful. I'm not from the UK, but the second site is accurate in its knowledge:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/b/factvax.htm
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068759/

8. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    hmmm aren't all teenagers in the UK vaccinated against one of the Heps? Not sure which one though, but I know we all got it done.

9. sdc91

C?

I think I'm vaccinated against that.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no vaccine for C, so it wasn't that one.

11. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Hep B vaccinations are becoming standard, at least in the US. Now the series starts with new born before the infant goes home. The hope is to wipe out the "pockets" of this disease. With campaigns of education, the medical professionals have been able to knock down the number of new cases, but have not been able to wipe out things to a degree that could be tolerated, so now there is an effort to wipe it out akin to small pox if possible.

Anyway, it is not considered a gay disease as it is pretty prevalent. There is no vaccine against Hep C.

12. Urman

Urman Guest

I haven't got my hep shot yet i was suppose to during my check up but they ran out:confused: