1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some kind of strain or pulled muscle

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mlpguy88, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was at my parents house this weekend, and yesterday I was helping my dad fill in the potholes in the driveway. I was in the flatbed of the truck hunched over most of the time and shoveling the crushed concrete on the drive way and I must have strained something because since I woke up this morning my left thigh and side of my lower back have been stiff and sore, it actually makes it a little difficult to walk.

I've pulled my back before but never my thigh, I figure that ice an heat will help, although I'm back at school now without an ice pack or heating pad so I kind of have to Macgyver it. I was wondering if there are some kind of stretches or something else I could do that would help since it is more of a thigh issue.

2. suninthesky

What part of your thigh?

3. secretguyX

Well I'm no help right now, but my legs are really sore from softball too, so I'm watching for responses, because I don't know what to do. Anyways, hope it feels better!

4. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's on the back left side more than anything, if that is a good description.

5. KaraBulut

The fact that it's your lower back and leg makes it possible that you might have sciatica.

In either case, the self-treatment for back injury is the same- RIPA.

R=Rest
    I=Ice
    P=Physical Therapy
    A=Anti-inflammatory drugs

The "rest" is taking it easy and not re-injuring your back.

An ice pack on your lower back for the first 48-72 will help reduce inflammation and swelling. Ice is also helpful for muscle injuries and sprains.

Physical Therapy or chiropractic manipulation can also be helpful if the pain persists more than a few days.

Anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, naproxen, etc also help in both treating pain and helping lessen the inflammation in back and muscle injury.