1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking in orthotics

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Cymbrii, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Cymbrii

heyy, uhm... just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about how to break in orthotics?

I've got flat feet and it's kinda been a big deal lately cuz I can't really be on my feet for more than half an hour or a quarter mile or so before they hurt too much for me to stay standing... pretty limiting. I've gotten orthotics before but they never really seem to work, they just keep hurting just as bad if not worse than before... so I was thinking about surgical options, but found out recently that surgery would involve being immobile for a year... which kinda makes it out of the question to me.

so I guess I'm giving the orthotics another shot, in case I didn't break them in properly before or something... does anyone have any experience with them? guess I'm just not clear on what to do, the doctors have given me instructions before but they are typically kinda hard for me to follow ^^; especially since they don't seem to work. doctor said we can lower the arch in case it's too high but I dunno. I'm not getting surgery so I need another solution.

thanks for responses!

2. TraceElement

Where did you get your first pair of orthotics from?

3. Cymbrii

I've had two pairs and both came from doctors. The first was plaster and the second was foam. Neither pair has really helped so far.

4. suninthesky

Instead of orthotics, maybe you should try foot strengthening exercises. I'm not qualified or anything, but my guess is that you have really weak feet and your muscles are giving up on you when you stand/walk.

Strengthening Exercises for the Foot

I'd say just do what you can. Walking barefoot around your house/on carpet even for just little bits of time will help build strength and endurance.