1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't sleep and ear pain.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Atticus, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Atticus

I've gone for two weeks without any proper sleep. I have no money to purchase sleeping aids. I do have some codeine cough syrup on hand, but I'd rather save that for my next bout of bronchitis. Caffeine has never really affected me but I don't drink much of it after dinner. Also, I've had a relapse with my depression, which I believe is causing my sleeplessness, but still I need help actually sleeping.

Also, I've been having sharp ear pains. It feels like the pain is in my ear drums and it switches ears (never both ears at once). Any clues to what this is and why it occurs?

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you might have an infection, get to the doctor.

You can try putting a few drops of alcohol in your ear for about 3 mins, but you really should see a doctor. I used to get ear infections when I was younger they're nothing to joke about

3. Atticus

I used to get them all the time too. The pain goes away though so I am hesitant to think it is an ear infection, especially since one ear will hurt and then the other will too (but the first one will feel better). But you might be right. I really should probably see the doctor about this... thanks!

4. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would at the very least try and clean out your ears it could be an infection or a buildup of wax both of which hurt.

5. Atticus

I clean out my ears daily though! I'm really anal about it too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmmmmm, well it could be a fluid in balance thats can cause ear pain to shift, but still doctor...go

7. Atticus

Yes I believe I will go to the doctor tomorrow after classes. Maybe I can figure out this sleep deprivation too.

8. Merlot

wear a condom next time!

#8 Merlot, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  9. Of Mice and Men

It seems like an infection. I'd suggest seeing a doctor, though.

10. Atticus

What? It's been a year since I've had sex... I dun get it...

11. KaraBulut

Well, if you're cleaning your ears with a Q-Tip, you may be pushing wax back into your ear which will cause the symptoms that you're describing.

A visit to the doctor or a nurse practitioner to have them check your ears is in order. If your school has a student health center, they can probably check them there. After that issue is dealt with, you can try an antihistamine at night- like benadryl- which will help you sleep at night and may also help with your ears if the underlying problem is allergies. The winter in the US was so mild this year that many people are getting hit with spring allergies a month or two early.

12. Atticus

Oh goodness. We don't have any winter here in Mississippi (I've been wearing shorts since December) but the pollen has been horrible lately. The benadryl might help with my sleep anyway. Yes, I will be going to the NP tomorrow. It's free here too. Thanks for answering.

13. KaraBulut

There's nothing like a Mississippi spring morning where your car is covered in yellow dust.

Let us know what the NP says.