1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

insanity dvd workout

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by izzyblue1456, Mar 30, 2012.

1. izzyblue1456

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    has anyone done this program or know of anyone that has. i was thinking about trying it but im not sure yet.

2. Emberstone

just be warned that programs like this are what we call 'cut programs', as they are basically about losing alot of weight and water weight (cutting, as it is known in excercise circles).

They also tend to be yo-yo workouts, as in they push your body to drop weight fast, and what tends to happen is that eventually you gain it all back and then some. It is about dropping the weight fast, not training your body to lose it and keep it off.

I dont know what your goal is if it is to add muscle, lose weight, or both, but your always better off with having a good gym membership with a regular workout schedule.

No matter what the goal is, you want to ease into the process, then stick to it. going the more methodical, slow but regular route means you are also training your body to utilize nutrition differently. someone who is consistant in a routine (say cardio 3 times a week, weight lifting three times a week, with 48 hours of rest between weight lifting to allow for recovery) is retooling their metabolisem, and getting the body into the routine of building muscle, and storing less fat, and burning it more easily.

these insanity/p90x programs are about rushing through it, but not about gaining better health. its for people who want to get the beach body for summer by starting in spring, instead of doing it year round.

3. Jim1454

Have you actuaully done the P90X program?

I have, and it works. It helped me in a number of ways:
    • It provided a meal plan that laid out what I needed to eat through each phase of the program. As a result, I've really changed my thinking around foods - which ones are good for me and which ones are bad. I'm eating much healthier now.
    • It provides a workout routine that I was able to follow and slowly grow into. I couldn't do the workouts when I first started, but I tried. It has you write down how many reps and what weights you used so that you can develop over time. As a result, almost 3 years later I still use the workout routines for my resistance days - I'm just able to lift heavier weights or do more reps than I did when I started.
    • It gave me a framework to use for my overall fitness routine. I didn't stop after 90 days. I stuck with the program - even if not as religiously as I did it the first time. (I lost 25lbs in the first 90 days of the program because I followed the diet plan to the letter and also did the exercises almost 6 days a week.)

The result is that 3 years ago I weighed in at 227lbs and this morning I weighed in at 181lbs. I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my life and I feel really good about myself.

None of these programs work unless you're willing to make significant lifestyle changes over the long term. But if you ARE willing to make those changes and don't know how to go about doing it, then a program like P90X can provide you with that framework - a 'how to guide' that we can follow.

A gym membership can provide you with the same kind of structure. Personally, I prefer to be able to roll out of bed, go to the basement, put in the DVD and workout before breakfast. Despite what I've said above, I'm not sure I would still feel comfortable going to a gym, and it really isn't necessary as fas as I'm concerned. I have the free weights and tension bands at home and that works.

I've seen the ads for the 'Insanity' workout too and wondered about getting it. But I'm one of those people who figures that I shouldn't try to fix something that isn't broken. I'm doing OK now. (e.g. I swam 1.5km at the pool this morning before work. Yesterday I had done the P90X chest/shoulder/tricep routine, tomorrow I'll do the back/bicep routine and Saturday I'll do a 5km run. Not bad for someone who turns 41 at the end of the month!)

4. squally89

I tried Insanity at my friends place for fun. It took a lot out of me (needed to drink a protein shake afterwards).

It works if you can do it consistently~

5. Airplanes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ive done Insanity as well, and as long as you eat right and keep a routine of it, it should work for! It did for me. :slight_smile: I should actually start it back up again. I had to stop when I broke my arm (no relation to Insanity).

6. insidehappy

these programs are great. you WILL lose the weight if you stick to them. the only problem is they are VERY intense and you have to do them religiously every day and eat right and not ruin your diet. the reality is, that if you do them right, you will lose the weight but remember you lost the weight doing a very intense program over a short period of time. once you stop, you will have to keep working out to maintain or you WILL go right back to where you were. with working out and dieting, i tend to suggest doing something realistic over time that you can maintain as part of your lifestyle each day. it may take longer but in the end you'll be able to maintain it better