1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to gain weight and muscle

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kev, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Kev

Kev

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I'm a pretty thin guy (130 lbs), but I'd really like to put on some pounds and gain some muscle mass. I don't want to gain too much weight/muscle (I don't wanna have that gym-rat, gorilla physique; more of a lean/defined look). My goal would be to weigh 160-170 lbs.

I'd love some tips on what to do as far as a workout regime and on which types of food to eat. Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

2. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eating alot of protein is a quick way to gain weight

3. Travel Tech

Lucky you, I've somehow managed to survive at about 110 pounds. I'm basically in the same position as you. I'd sort of like to get a little bit of muscle just so that I'm not quite so boney.

4. Jim94

Working out and eating alot works.
    And by eating alot I mean eat every 3 hour. I eat like 5-6 times a day. 3 of them are the normal meals and the others are betwen.

5. nicecoolguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh wow, I just posted something in another thread that's very similar to this! I can give an abridged version though. Basically, from elementary school through college, I was known as being a small guy to everyone. I would be teased about it, and I would try to be secure about it, and although I would be confident sometimes, deep down I knew that I didn't wanna stay that size. So yeah, I was a naturally skinny guy. What's worse, a skinny guy with really small wrists. Toward the end of high school/early college, I developed nice biceps and had nice bulging forearms, but my overall size was virtually unchanged. I tried and tried and tried, and everyone would always just tell me to eat but it just wasn't working. So it wasn't until this past summer actually that I did some research and found a way, albeit kinda extreme and unconventional, to help with my weight issue. Just to put things in perspective, I'm around 6 feet tall. When I started off I was 140 soaking wet. I didn't have money for a gym membership or program, and I did everything by myself, at my house with a set of free weights that my dad had bought a long time ago. With hard work, determination, and dedication, I went from barely 140 to over 190 in about 5 months. No it's not all muscle, but I've received compliments from family and friends and I'll tell ya, it feels great, I mean I feel like a different person and my confidence has improved dramatically, although it had come a long way over the years, after high school particularly. So yup, it's entirely possible to get out of the skinny zone. It's all about what method you wanna take.

6. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Drink lots of whole milk!

7. nicecoolguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HAha funny you mention that but it does work!

8. Travel Tech

Wait a second...:eusa_doh:
    Why in the world have I been drinking 2% milk my entire life? I honestly can't think of a single reason right now:bang:

9. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haha. I've been drinking whole milk forever, even though most kids switched to fat free when they turned like eight...I've always been small and skinny, and the whole milk really helps to add the extra protein and fat! And of course it tastes a lot better than that watered down fat free stuff :slight_smile:

10. KaraBulut

You didn't mention how tall you are.

Based upon the pics in your profile, you have an ectomorphic body type. It looks like you have broad shoulders and you're not excessively skinny. And at age 23, you are at the right age to begin a workout program.

There's three things that I always tell guys to do if they're interested in getting into shape:
    1. Write down everything you eat over the course of a week and then do a calorie calculation on it. If you want to gain weight, you're probably going to have to increase your protein intake and increase your overall calories.
    2. Take measurements of your body and shirtless pictures. Everyone tends to focus on weight. The best way to accurately monitor a fitness program is to track gain/loss in your arms, chest, waist and buttocks. You won't be able to see the gains for a while- the pictures will help you remember where you started.
    3. Join a gym and put together a workout plan with a trainer. A trainer will help you see your strong points and weak points. He or she will also help you figure out the right exercises and then show you how to do them properly. You should not work out everytime with the trainer (which gets expensive). Do a few sessions, then workout on your own or with a workout partner. After you have made progress on your plan, you can work out with the trainer again and come up with a new plan for you to work on by yourself again.

11. squally89

I am 5'6 and @ 130 pounds.
    I have been doing more weights and cutting down on my intense cardio.
    I can see results from this, but I am worried that I will lose my flexibility in the process of gaining muscle. Is this worth worrying about?