1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shivering when you aren't even cold?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by colorful, Apr 3, 2012.

1. colorful

I was outside and I started shivering. It is like 70 degrees outside and there is absolutely no reason I should be shivering. Not only that, but I didn't even feel cold. I was shivering off and on and there was a period of probably five minutes that I shivered continuously. Why? What on earth could have caused this. My chin actually felt sort of numb because my teeth were chattering for so long...

2. Fisnou

I've had that before. It was out of excitement or fear. Could something have triggered the shivering, like thoughts you were having?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you have any reason to be anxious or nervous? Anxiety can perfectly mimic shivering.

4. Lewis

Could be low blood-sugar, low/high blood-pressure or even a fever (if you're getting other feverish symptoms.) I mean it could be anxiety, but you didn't mention feeling anxious/nervous about anything. Had you drank caffeine before the occurrence? Are you diabetic? There's tons of possibilities.

5. Zaio

Zaio Guest

It's an animal walking over your grave.

Hehe... Myths.

Anyway as said above it is most likely to be low blood pressure if it was definitely hot outside, sometimes things we touch can make us shiver and get pimples too, like if I picture myself scratching (with recently cut nails) a soft velcro type thing it makes me shiver, likewise you might have been touching something that can cause this?

There are also a few muscle disorders that cause them to spasm (shiver) occasionally, I forget the name of the main one however so you would have to ask KaraBulut on this.

All the best.

6. Lewis

Is it parkinsons that you're thinking of? There's definitely a possibility of early symptoms.

7. Parkinson's at 17? Not very likely...

8. Lewis

Not likely, but I said a possibility. There is something called early onset parkinsons, which has been known to occur as early as the teen years.

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's not scare the poor OP to death. Parkinson's would be very, very, very low on the list of probability, maybe up there with getting struck by lightning :slight_smile:

Low blood pressure is WAY more common than Parkinson's, and being nervous or anxious is way more common than having low blood pressure. So, as they say in medicine, when you hear hooves, think horses not zebras. :dry:

10. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Just to get one thing out of the way - were you drinking the night before?

Low blood sugar is a high possiblity if you were. Usually when I drink it's vodka and coke, since coke is in that, your blood sugar is very high after consuming multiple amounts, then when it all goes it drops which can cause shivering the next day. If this is the case then something like coffee can be a great help.

If not, then maybe you can give us any more details that might help us diagnose the problem?

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, momentary low blood sugar seems like a likely possibility. I forget to eat sometimes and discover I'm shaky or a lil faint... and then realize i just need to eat some damn food. :slight_smile:

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do this too. When I get really hungry I start to shiver because I have low blood sugar.