1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTSD? But I'm not a military vet

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by splattered, Apr 6, 2012.

1. splattered

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think I might be living with PTSD. I relive the same traumatic events in my mind every day, every night. I can't let it go. Worst part of all is I did this to myself. Its like I signed up to live in a nightmare.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I am aware anyone who has been through a traumatic even can get PTSD its just it is more common in military vets because of what they see whilst they are on active duty. It is probably advisable to see a doctor or someone so you can talk about what you are going through and get some help in dealing with it.

3. KaraBulut

PTSD isn't limited to the military. It wasn't until recently that we've figured out that things commonly called "shell shock", a "nervous breakdown", etc were related anxiety disorders.

PTSD can occur in high stress occupations like law enforcement, healthcare and emergency responders. It can also happen after personal traumas like rape, physical abuse or in victims of bullying.

The cornerstone of treatment for PTSD- regardless of the cause is early treatment. That begins with working with a therapist to unravel the events that triggered the PTSD. And that's where you should start.

4. MommaFrog

I HAVE PTSD and I am NOT in the military. I have it because of my ex husband... he was abusive and raped me multiple times... My therapist has helped a LOT. I still have nightmares about once a week, which is a ton better than nightly. I am on a low grade medication, and it has helped a lot.

You can get thru it! Feel free to message me.....

5. seeksanctuary

I got PTSD from seeing 9/11 happen on TV. I wasn't there. I didn't first-hand see anything that happened. I didn't lose anyone in the attack. But I was 12 or 13, I saw it live on TV and it freaked me out so bad that I got PTSD. :/ And yes, it is diagnosed.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I suggest finding a therapist, if at all possible. Telling someone IRL is important. Hang in there.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The T stands for traumatic, not military.