1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vision going funny when i stand up?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by cassiem, Apr 8, 2012.

1. cassiem

Hi,

This has happened to me my whole life pretty much, but only recently (last couple of weeks) has it happened every time i stand up or even so much as sit up. My vision gets all white-noisey at the edges, then black so i'm blind. If i'm walking, i have to stop and lean against a wall because i feel slightly dizzy. It's never lasted more than 30 seconds, but it's a tad worrying.

I'm tall for a girl my age, 5 foot 9. I asked my stepdad, a doctor about it, and he said it was nothing to worry about. He said it could be caused by low blood pressure. Except when I was in hospital last year, I had my blood pressure taken every few hours or so (it's policy even though i was there for an overdose). It was always around 100 over 65. At highest it was 110 over 72. I asked the nurse, and she said that was average blood pressure for an underweight tall 15 year old female.

So what is causing this? Is it time to go to my GP?

Thanks,

Cassie

2. Anonymous123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hmm, I had something similar years ago and was told it was oxygen and blood related. Hasn't really happened since. I would see a doctor to get it checked out, it doesn't hurt to be safe.

3. KaraBulut

What you're describing is called orthostatic hypotension.

Gravity has an effect upon blood pressure. When we quickly go from lying/sitting to standing, blood follows the course of gravity and shifts from the head to the legs. It takes the body several seconds to adjust and redirect blood back toward the head. In the meantime, there's a (usually) temporary drop in blood pressure.

While this is a normal reaction, conditions such as dehydration or low blood pressure can cause a dramatic drop, even to the point of fainting.

You should mention this to your doctor. They can take your blood pressure while lying down, while sitting and then when standing to see how much of a difference there is and how long it takes your body to compensate.

4. Waffles

I have the same problem! D:
    Glad to know I'm not alone here. >_>

My doctor said it had to do with gravity and blood pressure... *shrugs* I'm no doctor though.
    Wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor.

5. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah this happens to me when it's either really hot out or i've been lazy all day and decide to stand up to run to the bathroom.. seriously. But its good to know that its mostly because gravity is a jerk

6. I have the same problem! :O I'm also really skinny and 6'3 at age 16, my blood pressure is roughly 95/60 and my pulse is like 50-55 per minute. So far, I've heard it'll be best if you stay hydrated :slight_smile: Hope this helps!

7. shy

shy

I face the same troubles. My doc gave me some meds I could take if I felt too weak to get up but I don't like them in the mornings.

I can only advice you to get up more slowly, it helps me a lot and you should drink enough water. If you like you can also drink coffee, it will affect your blood pressure most likely to the good.

8. suninthesky

I'm the same build/height as you. They had me do the laying down, standing test at the doctor. According to them I have a bit of issues with my adrenal glands, and they aren't working enough to make my blood pressure stay up when I stand up. Instead of man-made meds or anything, she put me on higher than normal dosages of B vitamins (which you pee out anyway, can't really OD on) It's done wonders to support my adrenal glands, which, as a long distance runner, are stressed anyway. I totally know that dizzy/fainty feeling - I've fainted 4 times before, but I don't have that issue anymore.

9. SkyDiver

So glad to hear that I'm not the only one who this is happening to.