1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if this is a concern but...?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by stupidIvan, Apr 8, 2012.

1. stupidIvan

Hi! Okay, okay, a little back-coloring so this makes sense:

I volunteered at a local anime-convention, I ran about twelve hours (way beyond my call of duty, but I was just happy to help.). I did several hours of standing, walking, running, and lifting things that were of moderate weight. Just typical work and junk, I do that often enough and I've rarely had problems. However, I noticed that towards the wee hours, my legs began to wobble. Like, wobble. Like, I ran the risk of falling down. After a little while I, guiltily, withdrew to rest because I knew if I kept up that I would just fall everywhere and that would suck. It didn't help, and I pretty much wobbled like an old chair for the rest of the night. Luckily, I never fell!

I'm used to this kind of work, so what was the deal? Was I just exhausted? I only ask because things like this get in the way of productivity, and I want to volunteer next year and not run the risk of falling all over myself while holding a big box! I'm also pretty heavy, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

I'm probably worrying over nothing, and I probably should've asked earlier than this, but thank you for reading. :::: )

2. KaraBulut

Two questions:
    1. How often are you on your feet for this long?
    2. Did you remember to eat during those 12 hours?

3. stupidIvan

1. It happens occasionally. I am used to frequent dashing and moving around for authority figures and for family friends. It doesn't happen THAT often, but I'm prepared for the situation.

2....Erk! That might be it! I'm shy about eating, I barely touch food when other people are around sometimes. I only tried to keep myself hydrated as compensation.

4. Cascade

It would be the lack of food that would be the problem here if you're used to being on your feet for 12 hours a day. Eating food is key to keep your blood sugar and other levels up. Water will help with dehydration but it won't help your endurance much. Next time a meal supplement bar would come in handy, just nibble on it throughout the day if you can't make yourself eat a proper meal.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had that happen when I forget to eat. In fact, not too long ago, I was feeling wobbly and started to get early signs of fainting and I was starting to get concerned... and then I realized I hadn't eaten anything all day. Ate some protein and some refined carbs for a quick boost and within 10 minutes everything was fine again :slight_smile:

My guess would be it's the same sort of thing for you, particularly if you didn't eat for 12 hours *and* were walking around quite a bit.

6. KaraBulut

This is usually the cause. I always make sure that keep a snack handy when I'm working events or dealing with a busy schedule. And when I'm scheduling events, I include a break for everyone so that they have time to eat and get something to drink.

7. stupidIvan

Eep! Now I feel so silly...

Thank you everyone! It's great to know that the cause was me not eating, even if it makes me feel ridiculous to think of it. :::: )))

8. KaraBulut

Nah, don't think in those terms. But the next time you're at an event where you're on your feet and busy, just pay attention to the time to make sure that you eat and help make sure that the people you're working with do the same.