1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I may have MRSA

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheAMan, Apr 8, 2012.

1. TheAMan

Ok so I just got out the hospital yeserday after being in there for 5 days. The day I left, I noticed that I had about 4 small bumps beneath my left armpit and 1 on the right side of my stomach. I also had this big yellow bump on my left leg too that my mom squeezed for me. It hurt like hell.

I've tried putting on some rash ointment my dad has but it isn't working. These definitely aren't normal bumps as they really sting like hell. I looked it up online and I swear I think I have MRSA. I had been taking antibiotics while in the hospital and my IV leaked blood while I was in there too. I'm going to the doctor in the morning but I want to make sure I know what I have before I go. Can someone please help me?

2. Abayomi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'll be honest I was like wtf is MRSA. But after reading the wikipedia page, it seems like any delay in the treatment of it can end up really bad. So just make sure you do go tomorrow.

"initial treatment is often based upon 'strong suspicion' by the treating physician, since any delay in treating this type of infection can have fatal consequences" - wikipedia page

"After 72 hours, MRSA can take hold in human tissues and eventually become resistant to treatment" - wikipedia page again

So... Just go for sure tomorrow and you should be fine :slight_smile:

3. TheAMan

Will do thanks!

4. Abayomi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hahahaha glad my googling wasn't totally useless... Unless it was xD

By the way, I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. Maybe it's not MRSA afterall, who knows? :slight_smile:

5. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sure it's nothing as extreme as MRSA; see what they say tomorrow :slight_smile: Either way, you're doing the right thing in going to see someone ASAP about these lumps. Sometimes it really is impossible to diagnose something like this with descriptions over the internet; the best thing is to not try and diagnose yourself in order to save yourself the worry (or downright panic) of having something very nasty when it's often just something pretty benign, save that for the Doctor to sort out.

6. TheAMan

I just hope I'm overreacting. But these bumps really sting!

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, whatever it is, the doc will take care of it. Likely it's a staph infection of some sort (maybe not MRSA) which aren't uncommon.

Second, MRSA these days isn't all that big a deal. There are a number of antibiotics that effectively treat it. I think the Wikipedia page is overstating it a little; MRSA can be serious, but it's also pretty common in many parts of the country, and treating it is pretty routine.

So... just relax, you'll be fine, and the doctor will know what to do :slight_smile:

8. TheAMan

Thanks for the words of encouragement Chip!

9. Abayomi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, you know that reminds me of a video by Communitychannel (Natalie Tran) that talks about googling diseases and infections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtdMToO0dzw

I think the others are right, it's probably nothing serious :slight_smile:

#9 Abayomi, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  10. TheAMan

OMG I'm so freaking out now! These bumps are starting to appear all over my body. At least 5 new ones have come in! They are so itchy!

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably not MRSA. KB will know much better than I, but offhand it sounds like it coulde be some form of a dermatitis or something. Are you taking any medication? I once had an allergic reaction to sulfa antibiotics that caused somewhat similar symptoms, and I know certain medications can cause hives and rashes and such. Alternatively, is there anything different about the clothes you're wearing or sheets you're sleeping on? Could it be a rash as a result of an allergy to the detergent used to clean the clothes/sheets or something?

12. KaraBulut

I do hear people use the terms "staph infection" and "MRSA" interchangeably.

Everyone gets staph infections- it's a very common bacteria, usually Staphylococcus areus. We come in contact with staph very often and most of us culture staph from our skin and our noses.

Any cut or break in the skin can get infected and often the infection is staph.

MRSA is just staph that has developed resistance to commonly used antibiotics. It is common in hospitals because of the frequent use of antibiotics there but you can also get it from community exposure in gyms, locker rooms and places where objects come in contact with exposed skin.

The only way we can tell a common staph infection from MRSA is to actually do a test where we take a sample from the wound, culture it and then expose it to antibiotics to see if it is resistant.

Staph infections tend to produce very red wounds that produce a lot of fluid- either as pus or as a boil-like lesion. The area is usually very red and painful to the touch. It may have a red streak that forms a line from the infection. The lesions are not often in a rash- it's usually just one lesion- and it doesn't usually affect more than one part of the body.

If you were to see a staph infection after a hospitalization on a surgical incision or where your IV was placed- areas where there is broken skin that allows the bacteria to enter. It's very rare to see it appear on intact skin or places like the underarms.

You should call your doctor. He may want to examine the bumps and perhaps run some tests on them.

#12 KaraBulut, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  13. Heather

A staph infection is nothing to mess around with! If it's possible that's what is is, then I wouldn't mess around, it could be very serious, even life threatening if you are not treated quickly enough.