1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picky Eater

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tezcatlipoca, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Tezcatlipoca

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Forgive me if this seems like a weird question, but is it possible for someone to have defective taste buds? I'm a really picky eater, to a ridiculous point, and I don't feel like its by choice. I'm actually a food-addict; I love browsing cook books and such, and I love to cook- I just can't stand the taste of most foods. And its not just what I cook; I've eaten at restaurants before where I've tried something new or different, and the taste has always been disgusting. I know about the old ten-times vestige, but I've tried that in the past and its never really worked. Recently, its gotten to the point where foods that I used to enjoy- such as spaghetti or even hamburger, just taste revolting. I've looked into picky eaters and such, but couldn't really find a reason why I'm like this. Beyond that, I couldn't really find any decent tricks to changing. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Travel Tech

I'm basically the same way, and apparently so was my mom. She even ended up having chicken fingers on her honeymoon...

Anyway, she eventually got more varied tastes after getting into situations where she was more or less forced to try new things. You grow out of it.

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm like this too. I have a very little scope in my diet and if anything it's only shrunk until very recently. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with it as long as you make sure you're getting the nutrients you need out of what you eat. If not then you have to force yourself to stomach some things like I did. I eventually ended up not minding some of it, too. No worries.

4. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    honestly i have to have my food to high standards of taste texture and temperature otherwise i cant bring myself to eat it...I finally got to the point where i can cook something find out if its too cold and cook it again but i used to just bite into it and wouldnt be able to eat anymore if it wasnt what i thought was the right temperature. My mom even gets annoyed cause i cant stand spaghetti unless she cooks it in a very specific manner. I feel like im too picky for a 20 yo sometimes but somethings i just cannot eat.

5. KaraBulut

Only a portion of what we perceive as "taste" is actually triggered by food on our taste buds. A large part of the enjoyment of food is smell and the movement of food molecules from the throat into the nasal passages. That's why hot food often tastes better and what's why swallowing seems to make us pick up on more flavors in the food.

Your tastes will change over time. There's no scientific explanation that I can give you for your this but as your get older, it seems that subtle flavors become more apparent and at the same time, you begin to appreciate more exotic and spicy things that you would not have cared when you were younger.