1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapist Reviews

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zontar, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Zontar

How do I find a good therapist? Are there any sites which review this kind of thing?

(I'm not looking for psychiatrists, only therapists.)

2. Eleanor Rigby

The first thing would probably be to ask your doctor first if they know someone to refer you too.

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You mean like an Angie's List type place that reviews therapists?

I think your best bet would be to look in your area for starters, then maybe ask your doctor or some people you know and trust that have or had a therapist at one point for some referrals to good ones in the proximity of where you live.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would be really hard to review therapists because the nature of the therapeutic relationship is very individual. The key is not only finding someone talented and insightful and knowledgeable, but someone you genuinely connect with in a deep way and feel very comfortable with. And so the sort of personality that you feel comfortable with, and the one that I feel comfortable with, and another person might feel comfortable with could be completely different. You might love your therapist, and I might hate her, or vice-versa, and in both cases, the therapist might be really outstanding, just not someone one of us connects with.

So in lieu of some sort of rating system like that, what I recommend is read what you can find about the therapist's style, approach, the theoretical orientations, approaches and frameworks s/he uses, where s/he went to school, and what sort of training and degree s/he has.

Also, the type of orientations and approaches that are best will vary depending on why you're seeking therapy. If you can give a better idea of what the issues are you're hoping to address, I might be able to give you more concrete suggestions on what to look for.

I realize that didn't answer your question, but I hope it's helpful.

5. davidavich

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You can watch videos of therapists before you decide who you want. I think there's only one directory that has this right now - it's called Therapick.com

You can also search by zip code, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Check it out: Therapists Los Angeles | Psychotherapist San Francisco | Therapy New York

There's also Psychology Today and GoodTherapy.org, but they don't have video.

David

6. KaraBulut

Find a Therapist, Psychologist, Counselor - Psychology Today

It doesn't offer "reviews" but the site gives a lot of background about their education, credentials and therapy styles.

The site has pictures but don't base your choice on how they look- you want someone who has been in practice for a long time, who has a credential like MSW (masters in social work), MSN (masters in nursing), PhD or PsyD (doctorate in psychology).