1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally realizing my bisexuality and it is causing me great anxiety and depression.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by gb981309, Apr 11, 2012.

1. gb981309

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Who do I talk to? I feel like an idiot for making a big deal about my sexuality. I feel like society makes it so. In my mind, I shouldn't have to even be questioning anything in the first place. I've lived mostly straight since puberty struck but now I can't live like this anymore. I wonder if I was ever attracted to guys, or if it was just a psychological attachment and dependence.

I am an attractive, young female and I am approached frequently by the opposite sex. However, I am never interested and it causes me to expend a great deal of energy maintaining the "friends only" boundaries as to not hurt the guy's feelings.

Point is, my health is taking a toll from this constant worry. I don't want to bring it up with my male therapist of two years, because I don't want him to think I'm inventing this for attention. I don't want to be a lesbian I just want to be like my friends.

2. stupidIvan

Re: Finally realizing my bisexuality and it is causing me great anxiety and depressio

Well, I think you've really come to the right place! You're not an idiot for wanting to seek further into who you are! That's a silly thing to say.

You have a therapist! Lucky lucky, I would really speak with him about it! I really doubt he will believe that you are seeking attention. :::: ) As a professional, he should be listening and helping you, I think an assumption like that on his part would be counter-productive in ways.

Liking women and men doesn't make you a lesbian! Could you elaborate on this, please?

3. KaotikPrincess

Re: Finally realizing my bisexuality and it is causing me great anxiety and depressio

Why do you want to just be like your friends? Because it makes things easier on you? Because you have a fear of being different? Just be yourself and if your friends don't accept you then you need new friends who will... who knows, maybe you have a friend or two that is going through the exact same thing as you and needs someone to talk to and work through it with. I definitely think talking to your therapist is a good idea. He may not completely understand exactly what you are going through but I am sure he will guide you in the direction to figuring that out :icon_bigg

4. TheAMan

I really do think that you should speak with your therapist about this as that's what he's there for.

5. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Therapist. Therapist. Therapist.
    Talk to him. I don't care what you think, talk to him. :3

6. PurpleCrab

Anxiety and depression. Those are actual illnesses, did you know? Most often caused by hormonal imbalance. Now your brain will pick up whatever it can to justify these feelings but you will find peace only when your imbalance is over with. Now that can be taken care of with medication... but in your case, because I think you're young... with time.
    The trick is to step back from your worries a little bit and focus on what makes you happy. The more anxious you are, the most efforts you should put into your passions until that dark period is over.
    Hang on, dear. Sexual orientation issues tend to solve themselves over time as you gain more self-confidence and learn to really love yourself.