1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

random shoulder ache, getting worse

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Pseudojim, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all

I have a cold right now, moderately bad, i've had worse colds and more mild ones.

I also have a history of my shoulders popping out, i am not supposed to swim any stroke except breaststroke because they're liable to sublux or dislocate, for example.

This morning i noticed an ache in my shoulder, occuring for no apparent reason. I literally haven't done anything for the past couple of days, my shoulder just started achingtoday for no reason. It felt like a deep ache, not so much muscular as it is right in the joint. As some hours went by it got worse... a lot worse. i'm now groaning and holding on to it a lot of the time. Whether i keep it dead still or move it around a little the pain stays exactly the same. It's still what i would describe as a 'dull ache' but it's getting seriously intense. I've never felt anything like it and being as clumsy as i am, i have had a LOT of different types of injuries.

what the hell could this conceivably be?

2. KaraBulut

Because you're having pain all the time, it needs either an xray or an MRI. It could be just inflammation or the subluxation problem could be worse.

Since you're in Australia, I don't know what the process is for setting an xray scheduled. If you have a doctor that you've been seeing for the shoulder problem, that's probably your first step. If it gets worse over the weekend, you may want to be seen in the emergency department or whatever drop-in clinic option is available there.

In the meantime, if you have an immobilizer or a sling, you may want to use it to avoid excessive movement of your shoulder until it is evaluated.

3. bdman

I think the bad shoulder is a direct result of playing (and being good at) video games.:slight_smile:

Just kidding, my shoulder actually hurts every time I go to a arcade and play those stand-up console games all night. I have a partially torn rotator cuff I've been dealing with for a long time...since my tennis days. What you are describing could be shoulder impingement, but only a doctor is going to be able to tell for sure. I would go see someone.

Oh and when is the arcade coming back? I figured if anyone knows if they are working on it yet...it might me you.

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Easy as pie, i've had plenty of x-rays before at the local medical centre. It's a free one, and i'm pretty accident prone.

I guess you're right, it still hurts. It got so bad that i gave in and i've been having paracetamol (i think you call it acetaminophen) and diclofenac to deal with it. Will see someone tomorrow.

it just seems so strange that it came out of nowhere...
    hahaha! thanks for the laugh =)

as for the rest of your post, damn that sucks, i've never done a rotator cuff but i've heard they're a massive pain in the arse

and i dunno about the arcade!!! I miss it, those are the only games i play any more =P (must get back my snake high score....)

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After a day and a half, and as mysteriously as it came, it's gone. I napped this afternoon and upon waking, it was back to normal. Odd, but happy with the outcome. I'll go back to the doctor if it troubles me again. Thanks all!