1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stress, the silent killer?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Gustav, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been losing my hair for the last month and a half now, and one of my doctors say it may be due to stress. I know hiding in the closet and coming out can be very stressful, but can that really cause my hair to fall out?!

A week after my hair began to fall out, i decided to come out to my strait guy friends, thinking the stress/relief mixture of coming out would overcome the stress of being in the closet and only telling a few key girls i trust. It did not necessarily work, since my hair is still falling out. I Then tried other ways to relieve stress, such as: Singing, foot massage, cleaning my room, writing stories, drawing, eating a bit better, being apathetic, giving lots to charity, and sleeping. none of these worked that well.

my question is, can stress really cause hair to fall out? can it also cause other complications? I am to see another doctor in three weeks, but it may not be soon enough:frowning2:

2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

YES... my bro hair is falling out hes only 24 but i dotn really care though.. but ur 17!.. u must be really stressed.. have you tried meditation or deep breathing ?? it helps

3. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Yes stress has been known to cause such conditions. Could also be a just genetics. It will depend on your family history and how much baldness runs on either side but most often the mother's side of the equation.

When under stress the body dumps all sorts of things into the system to ready it for fight or flight. If the condition is long standing it can produce all sorts of negative things happening, not just to hair loss. It ages pretty much all organs and systems, lowers the immune system, etc.

Do whatever you can to reduce the stress. One way is a workable solution to what is the cause of the stress. As long as there is light at the end of the tunnel and you are reasonably sure it is not a train coming, then the stress reduces. You need to make a choice or choices here and it will be one way or the other, not one of those situations where you can have your cake and eat it to.

Best of luck, but know, once you do make a choice, this will likely pass.

4. Kimi

Yes!! Stress does makes your hair fall off!! I think there is a name for it but I can't remember...:bang:

Try to not forcus on the stresses(Being gay or your hair) and do what you like:slight_smile:
    And I think just because you released stresses today, it doesn't mean your hair stop falling next day...

5. Bryan

I know people who are impacted by male pattern baldness at 16/17, but it sounds like you are really stressed out (regardless of the hair) and maybe you want to talk to some one (i.e.: a good shrink)

6. Nerdtendo

Stress can cause bualdness, but you may want to consider something. Maby your stressed out becuse your stressed? the stress maby the cause of it'self, and it creates a cycle. So, maby in your efforts to stop being stressed, you've become fixated on stopping the stress rather then to be relaxed. Try not doing something to spicificly stop the stress, like go to the movies with freinds. basicly, focus away from stress.

7. Jim1454

I'm afraid that i started to lose my hair by the time I was 17 or so... so it could be just the way it's going to be.

8. Astaroth

Well, aside from genetics (which you can't fight, really), there are several known factors that increase the chance and rate of hair loss.

1. Untreated dandruff or psoriasis of the scalp can cause hair follicles to die.
    2. Washing your hair with shampoo and not conditioning during/afterwards. The shampoo opens the hair follicles to clean them while the conditioner closes them up afterwards.
    3. Drying your hair roughly with a towel. Over time, this can cause hair loss too. You should sort of pat it dry softly.

Otherwise, I'm not really knowledgeable about the effects of stress on the body other than what has been stated above. Hope that helps, though.

9. Wired106

Hey Gustav, last night I was reading about this thing called Xanax that you can get perscribed from doctors and its an anti-anxiety pill to help you deal with stress and anxiety. It also helps relax you. The reason I was looking it up was because I heard about it from my brother and I was thinking about getting it perscribed because I get anxiety sometimes at school and get really stressed out because of a ton of homework being in a lot of honors classes and stuff.