1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Severe anxiety and panic

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by inevertoldyou, Apr 14, 2012.

1. I don't know where to start with this...usually I'm okay. But I live in a part of the country where, during this time of year, severe weather, and particularly tornadoes. When I was a child, the slightest cloud in the sky would set me off. As I grew into my teenage years, I adapted as best I could, and it was only the threat of tornadoes that sent me into a tailspin. Another thing that sends me into this tailspin is threat of doctors, as I am paralyzingly afraid of getting my blood drawn. Last time I had to have a blood test, I passed out. But anyway, back to the subject. Here, we are expecting weather so bad that they've been warning us about it for 2-3 days. As soon as they announced this, this feeling of dread gripped my chest. Yesterday, we had some storms, and some tornadoes. The tornadoes weren't near us, but we were in the risk area. I watched all the news coverage, got so worked up and panicked that I lost all focus to do anything else, and then once it was over, I was so anxious I couldn't sleep. I felt like something was attacking me. The panic didn't go away. Once I finally lulled myself into a sleep, it was a fitful sleep, and at best, I slept for thirty minutes at a time, waking up from a dream or nightmare. I'm so exhausted, I'm so worn down. I want this to go away. When spring rolls around, I live my life around the weather. I get weather on my phone, I'm always plugged into what's going on, and for 2-3 months I live in fear.

2. Cascade

Have you been to a psychiatrist? They can recommend some drugs to help cope with severe anxiety and to help you sleep. If you don't have anxiety that bad during the rest of the year then you can just keep the medicine in case of emergency panic attacks.

I have a friend who has anxiety this bad, not over weather but school. Medical treatment is the way to go. She always keeps emergency anxiety pills on hand because who knows when it could be set off.

In a more extreme case you could move out from the areas where there are tornadoes. As you move north the risk of tornadoes decrease; I've only seen one tornado in my lifetime and it didn't come anywhere near the city,

3. Of Mice and Men

I have anxiety/panic like this too. I talked to my psychiatrist and got some medications. I think that's what you should do. The anxiety stays in your head a little, but the feeling of panic, dread, cold sweat, and shaking go away completely and you feel relaxed. :slight_smile:

4. I'm planning on going to a psychiatrist as soon as I'm employed again. Right now I can't afford it, but it's all freaking consuming. I am planning on moving somewhere that is less tornado prone. Because I just can't take this anymore. I guess I should find a way to go to a doctor sooner, because this anxiety is eating me up right now.

5. RainbowWolfie

I had this issue before I got medication from my psychiatrist, which helps a lot.

If you cannot get to one right now, you can do these two things which helped me a bunch:

1. You can close all drapes and blinds when the weather starts to scare you. Out of sight, out of mind.

2. You may choose not to look at the weather channel. If you don't know something may happen, then to you it doesn't exist.

Hope this helped. ^_^

6. Everyone is helpful, and I can't thank you enough. I am unable to get to a psychiatrist anytime soon, as I'm unemployed. I took some valerian root, and I'm feeling a little bit better. I hesitate to not watch the weather, because I'm hyper-aware of what's going on around me. Thanks for the advice. Now as far as seeing a psychiatrist goes, should I just find one and make an appointment? Or do I need to see a general doctor first?

7. TraceElement

I would see your general practitioner first to rule out other medical problems. They will also have a working knowledge of who the better psychiatrists are, and can reccomend someone to see. They can also give you a script to get some medication in your system while you schedule the psychiatry appointment.

I would also reccomend when you have the money to see a psychologist to help with coping strategies and work with you on your problems to reduce stress.

8. Ok thanks! As soon as I have money it'll be my first order of business.